Saudi Aramco says its operations, system safe after contractor's data breach

Limited amount of company data released which was held by third party contractors

  
A billboard display an advert for Saudi Aramco in the streets in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, November 15, 2019.

A billboard display an advert for Saudi Aramco in the streets in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, November 15, 2019.

Reuters/Ahmed Yosri
 
RIYADH: Saudi Aramco said its operations were not affected following a data breach from one of its contractors.


The Dhahran-based company confirmed a limited amount of data had been leaked from the company following reports that a cyber extortionist had demanded a $50 million ransom.

“Aramco recently became aware of the indirect release of a limited amount of company data which was held by third party contractors," the Dhahran-based company said in a statement to Arab News.

"We confirm that the release of data was not due to a breach of our systems, has no impact on our operations, and the company continues to maintain a robust cybersecurity posture.”

Copyright: Arab News © 2021 All rights reserved. Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. (Syndigate.info).

Disclaimer: The content of this article is syndicated or provided to this website from an external third party provider. We are not responsible for, and do not control, such external websites, entities, applications or media publishers. The body of the text is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis and has not been edited in any way. Neither we nor our affiliates guarantee the accuracy of or endorse the views or opinions expressed in this article. Read our full disclaimer policy here.

More From Energy