The opening ceremony was held at MODUL University Dubai’s 25,000 square feet campus at ONE JLT, Jumeirah Lakes Towers in Dubai in the presence of Dr Abdulla Al Karam, Chairman of the Board of Knowledge and Human Development Authority [KHDA], Mohammed Saeed Al Raqbani, General Manager of Dubai Investments Industries [DII] – a wholly-owned subsidiary of Dubai Investments, Ahmed Bin Sulayem, Executive Chairman of DMCC, H.E. Andreas Liebmann, Ambassador of Austria to the UAE, H.E. Walter Ruck, President of Vienna Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Dr Karl Wober, Founding President of MODUL University Vienna, and many other dignitaries, business leaders and officials.
Dubai Investments owns 90% stake in MODUL University Dubai, while DACH Advisory, a specialized investment management firm in the transfer of cross-border business models, owns the remaining 10%.
Over 100 students from 32 different nationalities with 20% overseas students have enrolled in the first batch of programs at MODUL University Dubai, which specializes in undergraduate and MBA degree programs in hospitality and tourism management.
· 25,000 square feet campus
· Over 100 students
· 32 different nationalities
· 20% international students
· 70% Faculty are PhDs
Mohammed Saeed Al Raqbani, General Manager of DII, said: “UAE is a hotspot for business, with tourism and hospitality as a core pillar in its economic growth. With the total contribution of the sector expected to grow at nearly 5.5% in the country over the next 10 years, MODUL University Dubai is the right fit in the UAE market, with its strong legacy in the tourism and hospitality education worldwide. The growth potential is immense and Dubai Investments Industries is thrilled to be part of this initiative in capacity building and knowledge development.”
In his opening address, Zaid Maleh, Managing Director of MODUL University Dubai, said: “It is a matter of great pride and privilege to be a part of this historic milestone. MODUL University Dubai offers a unique model in higher education, with a strong focus in hospitality and tourism sectors, which will open up exciting career avenues in today's knowledge economy – particularly in the region. We are thankful to Dubai Investments for their support and guidance in bringing the world-class knowhow to the UAE and region.”
Ahmed Bin Sulayem, Executive Chairman, DMCC, said: “The launch of MODUL University Dubai represents a great initiative towards elevating educational services in the UAE and will help fuel the nation’s knowledge economy. At DMCC we believe in empowering and preparing the next generation of strategists and leaders, through education and guidance. MODUL University embraces the ethos of providing opportunities for rising stars to shine and it gives us great pleasure to welcome everyone to DMCC.”
H.E. Walter Ruck, President of the Vienna Chamber of Commerce and Industry, expressed his excitement at the inauguration ceremony, saying: “The MODUL brand, which represents the highest quality in tourism and management education has today reached a new peak in its 100-year history with the opening of the MODUL University Dubai. It is a great honour for the Vienna Chamber of Commerce and Industry that the DACH Advisory and Dubai Investments decided on our MODUL University Vienna as their partners.“
MODUL University Dubai, the only Austrian University in the Middle East with a track record of over 100 years of excellence in education, also offers Bachelor of Science in International Management, General MBA and MBA in New Media and Information Management as well as short-term professional development courses for hospitality working professionals. Founded by the Vienna Chamber of Commerce and Industries, the university’s faculty members are 70% PhD holders and all university programs are accredited by KHDA of the Emirate of Dubai.
About Dubai Investments PJSC:
Dubai Investments PJSC is a leading investment company listed on the Dubai Financial Market with over 19,800 shareholders and a paid-up capital of AED 4 billion. Incorporated in 1995, the company has grown exponentially with investments in a number of businesses across three core sectors – real estate, manufacturing & industrial and financial investments across the UAE and the Middle East.
Since inception, Dubai Investments has challenged the norms and introduced cutting-edge technologies, pioneering business models, unique investment strategies and innovative concepts across its diversified portfolio spanning different sectors and markets across the globe. Dubai Investments currently has over 40 subsidiaries & joint ventures under its portfolio, across a wide array of industries and continues to seek new investment opportunities in new sectors, locally and internationally, as part of its strategic expansion plans.
© Press Release 2016