Dec 21 2008
|more articles from|
Iran: Road Construction Projects Upbeat
Speaking at the Third National Seminar on Transportation in Tehran, Davoudi said the number of road construction projects is expected to increase in the coming months, Inn.ir reported.
According to the official, more than one million people work in the transportation sector, accounting for 9 percent of gross domestic product (GDP). "If we can create one percent growth per annum in the sector, GDP will rise by 2.2 percent."
Iran has one of the highest rates of road accidents in the world, with an average of 200,000 reported annually in which around 26,000 people are killed and 87,000 injured.
The government has already begun improving road safety by building standard roads and safer cars.
© Copyright Zawya. All Rights Reserved.
More in Construction
- UPDATE 1-NYPD Twitter campaign backfires, thousands of negative tweets
- Teen stowaway spent hours undetected at California airport - report
- UPDATE 2-"Murdered" Ukraine politician faced hostile mob, video shows
- Oscar winner Lupita Nyong'o named People's most beautiful woman
- UPDATE 1-"Murdered" Ukraine politician faced hostile mob, video shows
- There's More