Apr 20 2012
|more articles from|
Security high in Bahrain after ‘incident’
Friday, Apr 20, 2012
Manama Bahraini authorities yesterday said security levels in the Gulf country were high and that all usual precautions had been taken around the track where the Formula One race will be held.
The remarks were issued amid reports that members of a racing team were the victims of an incident.
Bahrain said the vehicle used by the Force India team members had not been targeted and that it had been caught up in a stand-off between protestors and the police.
“They drove through an isolated incident involving a handful of illegal protestors acting violently towards police. During this incident a Molotov cocktail landed in the vicinity of their vehicle. After approximately two minutes, the route was cleared and the vehicle carried on its journey. There were no casualties and eyewitness reports from the scene confirmed that their vehicle had not been targeted.”
“The arrests were made following an investigation and the identification of the suspects,” Major General Tareq Al Hassan said. “The arrests were part of the police duty to enforce the law and to maintain public security. Legal action was taken against in coordination with the Public Prosecutor,” he said. “Maintaining security and ensuring public safety are the top priorities for the police and there will be zero tolerance for violations.”
By Habib Toumi?Bureau Chief
© Gulf News 2012. All rights reserved.
© Copyright Zawya. All Rights Reserved.