21 August 2017 DAMMAM
— The National Anti-Corruption Commission (Nazaha) has received as many as 6,482 complaints about corruption in 2016 of which only about 3,802 (59 percent) were within its jurisdiction, Makkah daily reported on Sunday.
Nazaha said 1,357 complaints were about financial and administrative corruption including 288 on the misuse of the job authority.
It said as many as 2,680 complaints it received were not within its purview but it responded to the informants directing them to the right places to go to.
Nazaha said the majority of the complaints were about financial and administrative corruption, sub-standard performance, slackness in the execution of government projects, bribes, forgery and others.
The commission said the financial and administrative corruption included embezzling or wasting government resources, misuse of power, wasta (nepotism), working in business beside the government job, taking probes, forgery and others.
It said most of the complaints came from four main regions which were Riyadh, the Eastern Province, Asir and Makkah (69 percent) while the other 31 percent came from other various regions.
Nazaha said it monitors the local press and the social media looking for information about corruption cases so as to investigate and follow them up.
It said most of the complaints against corruption cases involved 10 ministries and government departments which were the ministries of municipal and rural affairs, health, environment, water and agriculture, transport, education, interior, labor and social development, the Saudi Electricity Company (SEC) and the Saudi telecommunications company.
© The Saudi Gazette 2017