My wife is under my sponsorship. However her employer bears the cost towards her health insurance coverage. Do I have to provide her health insurance? Will I incur any fine at the time of visa renewal?
Pursuant to your queries, we assume that you are based in the emirate of Dubai and therefore the residents are governed by Law No. 11 of 2013 Concerning Health Insurance in the Emirate of Dubai. It is the responsibility of the sponsor to provide health issuance to his dependents who are on his or her sponsorship. This is in accordance with Article 11 Of 2013 Concerning Health Insurance in the Emirate of Dubai, which states:
"The sponsor shall be obliged of the following:
1. Cover the persons sponsored thereby if they have not been covered by the employer thereof;
2. Bear the cost of such health insurance coverage rather than making the beneficiaries bear such costs.
3. Verify that the health insurance of the persons sponsored thereby is valid for the length of their residence or visiting period.
4. Bear the health services and medical intervention costs in emergencies for any of the persons sponsored thereby if any of them has no health insurance in accordance with the provisions of this Law.
5. Give the persons sponsored thereby the health insurance card.
6. Provide the health insurance policy upon the residence or visiting issuance or renewal of the persons sponsored thereby."
7. Any other obligations specified by the Authority pursuant to the resolutions issued thereby in such concern."
If the employer of your wife provides medical insurance to your wife you are not required to provide another health insurance cover and therefore no fines should be levied.
Ashish Mehta is the founder and Managing Partner of Ashish Mehta & Associates.
Copyright © 2018 Khaleej Times. All Rights Reserved. Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. (Syndigate.info).