Dubai-UAE: Zayed University (ZU), a national and regional leader of educational innovation, today announced that it will host its annual graduation ceremony virtually this year to celebrate the achievements of its students amid the global social distancing mandates in place during the COVID-19 pandemic. The University's graduating class of 2020 includes 1,573 students from 28 different nationalities.
This year's ceremony, under the theme ‘Class of Possibilities’, is scheduled to take place virtually on August 5, 2020. The University will honor its 18th cohort of female undergraduates and the 8th cohort of male undergraduates. Of the total, 1,468 undergraduate students and 105 postgraduate students will receive their certificates Emirati graduates constitute 87 percent of the total, while international students make up the remaining 13 percent.
Her Excellency Noura bint Mohammed Al Kaabi, Minister of Culture and Youth, and President of Zayed University, said: "Our mission at Zayed University has always been to prepare and empower our students to meet the new realities of the job market. And now, especially in these challenging times, we recognize the need for togetherness and solidarity as we celebrate this pivotal milestone in their lives. Through our first-ever virtual graduation ceremony, we will aim to honor the graduates' achievements, grit, and determination in an appropriate manner.”
She added: "There is much expectation from this generation, given the current global challenges. However, the resilience that the students have demonstrated will serve as a roadmap to help them navigate the challenges that lie ahead, both personally and professionally. I am very optimistic that this ceremony is being held under the theme Class of Possibilities, for the Class of 2020 has what it takes to create a lasting impact on the development of the UAE and the world."
Transitioning into the digital format this year, the University has also launched a dedicated microsite for the occasion that can be accessed by logging on to graduation.zu.ac.ae. While felicitating the graduating class, the portal will also provide a unique opportunity to simulate the physical commencement experience for students and their families watching from home. Despite the current circumstances, the unique graduation serves to commemorate students' efforts as they enter a new phase of their lives.
Through hosting the virtual graduation, ZU aims to inspire students to remain focused on their achievements as the world continues to weather challenging times due to the coronavirus pandemic. This move is a testament to the University's educational legacy and highlights a new chapter in ZU's journey in adapting to the new normal.
Open to all, the virtual graduation ceremony is expected to draw the attendance of over 3,000 participants, including the graduates, current students, parents, ZU's partners, and the wider public. Students will be directed through the website to register for the graduation, and receive a unique code, which allows them to visit campus in order to collect their gowns.
In order to ensure their safety in the prevailing scenario, the students have been classified into different groups to visit the campus, whether in Abu Dhabi or in Dubai, to collect their gowns at separate timings.
In addition to collecting their gowns, she noted that all the graduating students can, during their visit to the campus between Thursday, July 9 and Saturday, July 11, 2020 have their graduation photos taken. She also confirmed that ZU’s graduates of determination are not required to arrive at the campus to collect their gowns. Instead, the University will send their gowns to their desired locations.
All attendees are welcome to witness one the greatest spotlights the University has produced to date. Guests will receive an invitation link following their online registration on the University's website. Those keen to join the ceremony are encouraged to keep updated on the latest developments via ZU’s social media channels.
ZU is one of the UAE’s leading universities to successfully adopt remote learning following the global shift in education back in March 2020. More than 7,000 students have concluded over 57,000 classes throughout the 2020 Spring Semester, delivered by 627 faculty members across ZU’s campuses in Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
© Press Release 2020