Abu Dhabi, UAE: – Around 600 Emirati and international high school students are taking part in this year’s Young ADIPEC programme, receiving a first-hand insight into the many career options available in the nation’s vital oil and gas industry.
First held in 2013, Young ADIPEC is the youth outreach initiative of the Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition and Conference (ADIPEC), and has already hosted more than 1,900 students aged 14 to 17 in its first five years. The event aims to win the hearts and minds of today’s youth by connecting them directly with professional role-models and industry executives to obtain a first-hand insider’s view of the industry.
“Oil and gas has an endless need for engineers and managers, but the options go far beyond those roles that people immediately think of when they consider working in the industry,” said Jean-Philippe Cossé, Vice President, dmg::events Middle East.
“A prime example is the wave of digitalisation sweeping through the industry, which is creating jobs in cutting-edge tech areas such as big data analytics, robotics, 3D printing, and artificial intelligence. Oil and gas companies need young graduates with these skills.”
Participants for Young ADIPEC have been selected from 20 government and private schools, nominated by a teacher on the basis of aptitude, outlook and academic performance. They receive expert guidance on careers available and the qualifications they will need to land their dream job.
Young ADIPEC has several components:
- The Experiential and Edutainment Programme was conceived to introduce participants to various aspects of the industry in an entertaining way. Using games, interactive displays and a video diary wall, it will cover topics such as engineering, science, innovation, health & safety, and the environment.
- Young ADIPEC TALKS will focus on the theme of Fostering Youth – Reshaping the Energy Sector of the Future and provides a platform enabling the next generation of oil and gas professionals to connect with industry leaders. Three talks will take place daily, with a variety of topics including: ‘What it takes to be a leader’, ‘Why I Became an Engineer’, and ‘Attracting UAE Youth to the Energy Industry’.
- Field trips will provide invaluable hands-on experience for pupils. Set to include visits to educational institutes, research centers, service facilities and manufacturing workshops, students will gain hands-on experience through a wide range of interactive programmes aimed at highlighting the diversity of opportunities that the oil and gas sector presents.
- Each school that participates this year will nominate a Young ADIPEC Ambassador who will represent the Young ADIPEC Programme to his or her classmates, relatives and friends. The role is to raise awareness of the programme amongst peers and raise their curiosity about oil and gas careers.
- The AlumniProgramme will focus on engaging current and former participants of the programme. Young people who have attended previous editions of the programme will visit schools to share their experiences, in order to help connect the world of oil and gas with tomorrow’s youth and what it takes to enter the industry.
Held under the patronage of His Highness Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of the UAE; hosted by the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC); and supported by the UAE Ministry of Energy, the Abu Dhabi Chamber, and the Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority, ADIPEC will take place from 12 to 15 November 2018, at the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre (ADNEC). The Young ADIPEC exhibition stand will be in Hall 14.
Young ADIPEC is held under the patronage of His Excellency Sheikh Nahayan Mabarak Al Nahayan, Minister of Tolerance, and supported by Abu Dhabi Department of Education and Knowledge. and hosted by Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC).
Held under the patronage of the President of the United Arab Emirates, His Highness Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, and organised by the Global Energy division of dmg events, ADIPEC is the global meeting point for oil and gas professionals. Standing as one of the world’s top energy events, and the largest in the Middle East and North Africa, ADIPEC is a knowledge-sharing platform that enables industry experts to exchange ideas and information that shape the future of the energy sector. The 21st edition of ADIPEC will take place from 12-15 November, at the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre (ADNEC). ADIPEC 2018 will be hosted by the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) and supported by the UAE Ministry of Energy & Industry, Masdar, the Abu Dhabi Chamber, the Abu Dhabi Department of Culture and Tourism, Abu Dhabi Ports and the Department of Education and Knowledge. dmg events is committed to helping the growing international energy community.
For media enquiries, please contact:
Senior Marketing Manager, DMG Events
Twofour54, Park Rotana Offices, 6th Floor
PO Box 769256, Abu Dhabi, UAE
T: +971 (0)2 6970 515
T: +971 4 275 4100
Mark Robinson (English): +971 (0)55 127 9764
Feras Hamzah (Arabic): +971 (0)50 798 4784
© Press Release 2018