Bahrain: Investcorp, a leading global provider and manager of alternative investment products, and Aberdeen Standard Investments (ASI), a leading global asset manager, part of Standard Life Aberdeen plc today announced the launch of their joint venture that will invest in social and core infrastructure projects in Gulf Cooperation Council (“Gulf” or “GCC”) countries.
The joint venture will benefit from ASI’s strong track-record of investing in 120 social infrastructure projects over the past 20 years and Investcorp’s extensive private equity expertise and market reach in the Gulf.
The joint venture will actively target greenfield and brownfield social and core essential infrastructure assets in sectors including healthcare, education, utilities, social housing, smart cities, roads and rail.
Mohammed Alardhi, Executive Chairman of Investcorp, said: “This joint venture is a milestone for Investcorp and is in line with our strategy of diversifying our offerings to clients. Our investment objectives in the GCC are aligned with government initiatives, and by investing in critical infrastructure we are supporting the growth of those economies. Our deep knowledge of the GCC markets coupled with ASI’s expertise and strong track record in investing in infrastructure projects serves to strengthen our position as a crucial private investor in the GCC region.”
Hazem Ben-Gacem, Investcorp’s Co-Chief Executive Officer said: “Infrastructure is a unique and highly sought-after investment, especially in times of global economic uncertainty, because it is typically characterized by stable and predictable long-term cash flow. Moreover, there is a healthy pipeline of infrastructure projects and deals in the GCC, which means there is a potential to generate real value for those types of investment. We are delighted to forge a joint venture with ASI because they are pioneers in investing in infrastructure globally.”
Martin Gilbert, Co-Chief Executive of Aberdeen Standard Investments, said: “The partnership brings together ASI’s strong track record of over 20 years in concession and social infrastructure fund management with Investcorp’s excellent relationships and reputation in the Gulf as well as wider asset management expertise. We are looking forward to working with Investcorp as part of this exciting opportunity to invest in the long-term growth story of the GCC and to expand our geographic footprint.”
Investcorp is a leading global manager of alternative investments. Led by a new vision, Investcorp has embarked on an ambitious, albeit prudent, growth strategy. The Firm continues to focus on generating value through a disciplined investment approach in four lines of business: private equity, real estate, absolute return investments and credit management.
As at December 31, 2018, the Investcorp Group had US$ 22.5 billion in total AUM, including assets managed by third party managers and assets subject to a non-discretionary advisory mandate where Investcorp receives fees calculated on the basis of AUM.
Since its inception in 1982, Investcorp has made over 185 Private Equity deals in the U.S., Europe, the Middle East and North Africa region and Asia, across a range of sectors including retail and consumer products, technology, business services and industrials, and more than 600 commercial and residential real estate investments in the US and Europe, for in excess of US $59 billion in transaction value.
Investcorp employs approximately 400 people across its offices in Bahrain, New York, London, Abu Dhabi, Riyadh, Doha, Mumbai and Singapore. For further information, including our most recent periodic financial statements, which details our assets under management
About Aberdeen Standard Investments
- Aberdeen Standard Investments is a leading global asset manager dedicated to creating long-term value for our clients,and is a brand of the investment businesses of Aberdeen Asset Management and Standard Life Investments.
- With over 1,000 investment professionals we manage £557.1 billion (US$735.5 billion, as at 30 June 2018) of assets worldwide. We have clients in 80 countries supported by 50 relationship offices. This ensures we are close to our clients and the markets in which they invest.
- We are high-conviction; long-term investors who believe teamwork and collaboration are the key to delivering repeatable, superior investment performance. We are resolute in our commitment to active asset management.
- Aberdeen Standard Investments is the asset management business of Standard Life Aberdeen plc, one of the world’s largest investment companies.
- Standard Life Aberdeen plc is headquartered in Scotland. It has around 1.2 million shareholders and is listed on the London Stock Exchange. The Standard Life Aberdeen group was formed by the merger of Standard Life plc and Aberdeen Asset Management PLC on 14 August 2017.
Firas El Amine
+973 3998 7838
+971 (4) 560 9600
© Press Release 2019