The Egyptian cabinet denied on Monday imposing stage 3 restrictions to slow the spread of coronavirus (Covid-19). The cabinet urged citizens to take care with false information, which it said causes confusion.
The cabinet added that any new preventive measures will be officially announced, and that legal measures will be taken against those who circulate the rumours.
Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly said last Thursday that “Egypt is still far from the coronavirus’ third stage”. He also said that the expected average number of daily coronavirus infections will be increased in the coming week.
The Health Ministry announced on Sunday 103 new coronavirus infections and 7 deaths, bringing the country’s total to 1,173 infections and 78 fatalities.
The government has put in place several measures to curb the further spread of the coronavirus, including imposing a night curfew and suspending flights and schools. Coffee shops and entertainment venues have also been shut, with restaurants allowed only to run delivery services. The decision for closures and restricted services excludes pharmacies, bakeries, and grocery stores.
Earlier in April, the Prosecution announced that those who spread “rumours and false information” about coronavirus in Egypt will be penalised per the articles no 80 D, 120 bis, and 188 of the Penal Code.
© 2020 Daily News Egypt. Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. (Syndigate.info).