Kuwait will keep airport at 30% of capacity until further notice

The cabinet also ordered Kuwait's Directorate General of Civil Aviation to reduce the number of flights arriving in the country

  
Image used for illustrative purpose. Repatriated Kuwaitis from Amman, wearing protective face masks, following the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), are seen after arriving at Kuwait Airport, Kuwait April 21, 2020.

Image used for illustrative purpose. Repatriated Kuwaitis from Amman, wearing protective face masks, following the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), are seen after arriving at Kuwait Airport, Kuwait April 21, 2020.

REUTERS/Stephanie McGehee

KUWAIT  - Kuwait's government has delayed the second phase of its plan for resuming commercial flights until further notice, the state news agency said on Monday, citing a cabinet decision, keeping the airport's capacity at 30% of pre-pandemic levels.

The cabinet also ordered Kuwait's Directorate General of Civil Aviation to reduce the number of flights arriving in the country. Kuwait began the first phase of resuming flights in August last year at the reduced capacity, which it had said would last for six months, after which a maximum capacity of 60% was to be allowed.

Kuwait on Sunday reduced the number of daily overseas airline passenger arrivals by 80% to 1,000 to manage the spread of a new coronavirus variant, a source told Reuters.  

(Reporting by Ahmed Hagagy in Kuwait Writing by Saeed Azhar Editing by Hugh Lawson and Matthew Lewis) ((Saeed.Azhar@thomsonreuters.com; +971 44536787; Reuters Messaging: saeed.azhar.reuters.com@reuters.net))

More From Travel & Tourism