Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates: Her Excellency Sarah Al Amiri, UAE Minister of State for Advanced Sciences, visited the Borouge Innovation Centre in Abu Dhabi on 4 July 2018, touring its facilities, which include advanced equipment, extensive scientific laboratories, and application development resources for advanced plastics solutions.
During the tour, Her Excellency met with the Emirati and international scientists and researchers who, armed with the most advanced technologies from Borealis, work hard to come up with advanced plastics solutions that meet customers’ needs, enhance their productivity and improve their cost effectiveness. The tour also covered the Centre’s Intellectual Property Right (IPR) department, highlighting its key role in enabling Borouge to file more than 30% of all patents registered by UAE applicants in the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) database.
“Scientific advancement is a pillar of sustainable development,” H.E. Al Amiri asserted. “The partnership between the government and the private sector is essential, as it serves to harmonise efforts and creative energies, promote the exchange of knowledge and expertise, and enable the science sector to be a major supporter in achieving the vision of our leadership, which seeks to build a diversified, sustainable and knowledge-based economy. This, in turn, catalyses the development of the vital sectors and increases their competitiveness, in line with the UAE Centennial 2071 Plan, which sets the UAE’s visionary aspirations towards greater advancement.
“I am delighted to be visiting the Borouge Innovation Centre and exploring its advanced technologies. I take pride in the UAE nationals I met here, who are contributing to the development of the refineries and petrochemicals sector, and playing a pivotal role in enhancing the UAE's innovative capabilities in the field,” Her Excellency added.
For his part, Ahmed Omar Abdulla, CEO of Abu Dhabi Polymers Company (Borouge), said: “Having one of the most remarkable R&D centres in the Middle East region, Borouge Innovation Centre enables us to maintain our leading position as provider of innovative and sustainable plastics solutions that create value to our customers. The Centre efficiently contributes to our success in delivering boundary-pushing solutions that are INSPIRING TOMORROW, unlocking growth opportunities and enabling us to address the challenges faced by our customers.”
Her Excellency engaged officials from the Centre in a discussion, exploring prospects for cooperation in order to achieve the National Advanced Science Agenda 2031, which embodies the UAE’s scientific ambitions, and helps achieve the objectives of the UAE Centennial 2071 Plan through three consecutive implementation schemes, starting with the 2018-2021 Plan.
Developing sectors of strategic importance is top-priority in the Agenda, which includes a total of 8 science-centric priorities: researching the future of natural resources, developing the sustainable energy sector, promoting water security, developing an advanced scientific system for food security, developing the advanced industrial sector, building an integrated logistical platform, and finally, developing core and strategic industries.
Committed to enhancing the creative mindset of our people
As part of its strategy to develop the creative mindset of its people and attract youth talents into polymers science, Borouge provided an opportunity for 15 students from Khalifa University and the Petroleum Institute, who are currently completing their two-month internship at the Borouge Innovation Centre, to join the reception of Her Excellency at the Centre and be inspired by her encouraging perspective on the role of science in developing nations.
For further information, please contact
REHAB OMAR ATEEQ
Regional Communications Manager MEAE, Borouge
T +971 2 708 8666, Rehab.Ateeq@borouge.com
About Borouge Innovation
- Borouge’s vision focuses on value creation through people and innovation
- Innovation at Borouge is a culture powered by creativity, dedication and intellect and plays a vital role in in spearheading the development of an innovation mindset and providing creative solutions in close cooperation and partnership with customers throughout the value chain
- Borouge operates innovation centres in Abu Dhabi and Shanghai with more than 90 researchers and scientists (>30% of which are UAE nationals in Abu Dhabi)
- Almost 20% of Borouge’s annual sales in 2017 were generated by new products that were developed at the Borouge Innovation Centre and were introduced into the market in the past five years
- In the past four years, Borouge succeeded in delivering more than 25 new products, contributing to enhancing sales margins and elevating Borouge’s brand reputation as an innovator in its key markets
- Borouge Innovation Centre in Abu Dhabi provides its UAE national employees of researchers and scientists with international study programmes in cooperation with Borealis where they receive advanced trainings in Europe.
- Borouge Innovation works closely with the European innovation centres of Borealis and collaborates with leading international and local educational bodies such as Khalifa University, as well as with other prestigious universities in Asia and Europe, to further develop the competence of polymer science in the UAE
- Cooperation and close partnership between Borealis’ innovation centres in Europe and Borouge Innovation Centre enables both companies to drive success and be seen as reliable and trusted suppliers of innovative polyolefin solutions globally
- In February 2018, Borouge received the prestigious “5-star” UAE Innovation Award for its capabilities in innovation, reinforcing the Company’s contribution as a pivotal front player in the UAE for enabling boundary pushing polyolefin solutions that rely on innovation to make an impact on society today and tomorrow
- In November 2017, Borouge also received the Hamdan bin Mohammed Award for Innovation in Project Management under the category of ‘Innovative Idea in Portfolio Management’ for its recognised creative approach in carrying out innovation, operations, marketing and sales projects across the organization
- In November 2016, Borouge won the highly-acclaimed Gold category of the Sheikh Khalifa Excellence Award (SKEA) in recognition of its outstanding performance and commitment to excellence throughout its operations.
A joint venture between ADNOC and Borealis, Borouge is a leading petrochemicals company that provides innovative plastics solutions for the energy, infrastructure, mobility, packaging, healthcare and agriculture industries. With 4.5 million tonnes of annual capacity, Borouge is the world’s largest integrated polyolefin complex, with the ambition to more than double its current capacity by 2025.
Learn more about
Borouge at www.borouge.com
ADNOC at www.adnoc.ae
Borealis at www.borealisgroup.com
© Press Release 2018