- Building is also among the world’s top 20 largest, Platinum-certified projects
Dubai, UAE – ICD Brookfield today announced that its newest commercial office development, ICD Brookfield Place, has achieved the prestigious LEED® Platinum (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification, the highest rating awarded by the US Green Building Council for green building design, construction, operations and performance. In accomplishing LEED® Platinum, ICD Brookfield Place becomes the tallest and largest office building in the EMEA region to achieve the rating, and takes its place among the top 20 of the world’s largest LEED® Platinum projects.
Designed by Foster + Partners, ICD Brookfield Place is a 1.1 million square foot, state-of-the-art office and retail complex offering 990,000 square feet of highly efficient and flexible workspace alongside 160,000 square feet of curated retail and dining offerings. The development and management of the property are overseen by Brookfield Properties, one of the world’s leading real estate services companies.
LEED is a globally recognized symbol of excellence in green building and ensures electricity cost savings, lower carbon emissions and healthier environments where people live, learn and work. The certification marks an important milestone for the 53-storey office and retail destination which recently achieved practical completion and is set to welcome first tenants soon.
A number of sustainable, environmentally conscious, carbon footprint reducing features as well as occupant wellbeing principles have been incorporated at ICD Brookfield Place to achieve the world’s most widely used green building rating system. These include:
- Located in the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC), a densely occupied and pedestrian friendly community with great public transport links to reduce car travel environmental impacts.
- Designed to be energy efficient and minimize its ecological footprint, ICD Brookfield Place has reduced its energy consumptions by 28% above industry standards.
- The building management system (BMS) and energy meters will be utilized to monitor consumption to help optimize usage.
Materials & Resources
- During construction over 87% of waste was recycled to reduce waste to landfill.
- Over 30% of construction materials were from recycled sources (e.g. steel and concrete) to save natural resources and sourced locally to reduce environmental impacts from travel.
- There has also been a reduction in the sources of VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) by conscious choices throughout the design and construction phase.
- The building has increased fresh air by more than 30% above the ASHRAE (American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers) requirements and significantly above local standards, and uses UV light technology incorporated in the HVAC system to prevent the transmission of bacterial and viral infections.
- Smart building sensors have been installed throughout the tower to monitor air quality.
- The use of high-quality non-toxic paints, materials, and adhesives, as well as the green cleaning policy also contributes to a healthy indoor environment.
Daylight & Views:
- The building has also implemented features that promote exposure to adequate levels of sunlight which is critical for the health and well-being of occupants contributing to both visual comfort and potential phycological and neurological gains.
- With access to daylight and quality views, the mood of occupants is enhanced which in turn leads to higher rates of productivity, focus and satisfaction levels.
- Water requirements for irrigation have been reduced by 60% due to the selection of low water demand plant species.
- The irrigation across the project utilizes recycled condensate water from the air conditioning system, therefore the building does not draw water from the municipal water supplies for the extensive 140,000 sq. ft of landscaping across the project.
- In addition, the bathrooms within ICD Brookfield Place use 48% less water than the industry baseline.
Community and Mind
- Over four acres of amenity spaces have been incorporated into the project to encourage people to meet, share, and collaborate, including a 31-meter-high public realm featuring an award-winning arts and events program.
- The building also includes a community hub space that will host a vibrant and exciting calendar of workshops and classes designed for those who want to further enrich their daily lives.
- The property possesses all the key themes of Brookfield Properties’ successful placemaking ethos with its focus on wellness, culture, sustainability, and experience.
“It is an honour to have been appointed by ICD Brookfield to work on this incredible project that sets a new benchmark for commercial development in the EMEA region,” said Saeed Al Abbar, Managing Director of AESG. “Helping ICD Brookfield Place successfully achieve the LEED Platinum certification emphasizes our commitment to supporting our clients worldwide to achieve high performance buildings that meet the highest levels of sustainability. ICD Brookfield Place sets a new benchmark for the region and it is industrious leadership such as this will not only support the sustainable vision of the UAE, but also raise the bar for sustainable buildings globally.”
For more information about ICD Brookfield Place, please visit: www.icdbrookfieldplace.com
About ICD Brookfield
ICD Brookfield is a Joint Venture partnership between Investment Corporation of Dubai (ICD), the Principal investment arm of the Government of Dubai, and Brookfield Asset Management, a leading global alternative asset manager with approximately $550 billion of assets under management across real estate, infrastructure, renewable power, private equity and credit.
About Investment Corporation of Dubai
ICD was established in May 2006 under a mandate to consolidate and manage the Government of Dubai’s portfolio of commercial companies and investments; and provide strategic oversight to the portfolio. ICD’s portfolio includes Dubai’s most recognized companies, from a cross-section of sectors including financial services, transportation, energy, hospitality, and others that the Government of Dubai has deemed to be strategic for the continued development of the Emirate. For more information on ICD please visit www.icd.gov.ae
About Brookfield Properties
Brookfield Properties is a fully-integrated, global real estate services company, providing industry-leading portfolio management and development capabilities across the real estate investment strategies of Brookfield Asset Management — a global alternative asset manager with approximately $550 billion in AUM.
Brookfield Properties develops and manages premier real estate with a focus on maximizing the tenant experience in addition to the investment and operational performance of the asset. We also focus on integrating leading-edge real estate technologies which enables us to be at the forefront of innovation and sustainability – benefiting not only our tenants, residents and business partners, but also the communities in which we operate.
For more information about our approach to operating and developing best-in-class real estate, please visit brookfieldproperties.com.
AESG is a world leading Specialist Consultancy, Engineering and Advisory firm headquartered in London and Dubai, working throughout the Middle East, Europe and Asia. Our areas of expertise are represented in three core verticals: Building Engineering, Planning and Infrastructure and Strategy and Advisory.
We pride ourselves in being leaders in the industry in each of the services that we offer. We have one of the largest dedicated team with decades of cumulative experience in sustainable building design, fire and life safety, façade engineering, commissioning, building performance, waste management, environmental consultancy, energy management and acoustics.
With unparalleled experience, gained from working on hundreds of iconic developments, our multi-disciplinary team of Architects, Engineers, Scientists, Planners, Modellers and Commissioning Managers work alongside our Clients to deliver effective solutions that stand the test of time. Our prestigious portfolio demonstrates our extensive capabilities and our ability to consistently deliver best in class solutions to some of the industry’s most complex technical challenges.
www.aesg-me.com | www.aesg.uk
© Press Release 2020