On the occasion of the late Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum's 29th death anniversary, his son, His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, wrote an emotional message to his father.
"On October 7, 1990, Dubai lost its father, its engineer. Many hearts were broken. Many people didn't believe they had lost their father. Losing your father is the hardest thing. It makes you an orphan. He is the reason you exist, the reason of your life, the reason of your success, the reason your country exists," Sheikh Mohammed said on Twitter.
Who was Sheikh Rashid? Here are 10 important things that you should know about the man who Sheikh Mohammed called the 'Father of Dubai'.
(1) He grew up in Al Shindagha and was raised by his father Sheikh Saeed bin Maktoum Al Maktoum, who was known for his piety, wisdom, patience and prudence. His mother was Sheikha Hessa bint Al Mur bin Hureiz Al Falasi. She enjoyed a special place in the hearts of Dubai people, as she was known to be resolute, strong-willed and ambitious.
(2) From a young age, he was mature and his thinking was ahead of his time.
(3) Falconry, horseback and camel riding and shooting are some of his most cherished hobbies.
(4) He was appointed Crown Prince in 1939 and helped his father run the state.
(5) He was able to save Dubai from several economic crises, notably the decline of pearl trade and the maritime blockade, which Britain imposed on the Arab Gulf ports after World War II.
(6) Together with the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, he spearheaded the efforts which led to the formation of the UAE in 1971.
(7) He became Ruler of Dubai in 1958 and began transforming the city - opening Dubai International Airport in 1960; Port Rashid in 1972; Dubai World Trade Centre in 1978; and Jebel Ali Port in 1979.
(8) He had a keen interest in establishing government departments such as the municipality and the land, police customs, electricity, water and other departments as well as the courts of law.
(9) Dubai Creek was built during his rule - Sheikh Rashid had it broadened and deepened, as its shallow water posed a threat to navigation and made it hard for large vessels to enter.
(10) He was Ruler of Dubai for 32 years - from 1958 until his death in 1990.
Key dates during Sheikh Rashid's rule
1939 - Appointed Crown Prince
1958 - Became the Ruler of Dubai.
1960 - Dubai International Airport was inaugurated
1961 - Dubai Municipality was established
1963 - Establishment of Dubai Petroleum and National Bank of Dubai
1968 - The Union Accord between Dubai and Abu Dhabi
1972 - Sheikh Rashid inaugurated Port Rashid in Dubai
1975 - Sheikh Rashid laid the foundation stone for the Dh678 million aluminum smelter, DUBAL
1978 - Sheikh Rashid inaugurated the Dh42m Al Nasr Football Complex
1978 - Sheikh Rashid inaugurated Dh45m slipway on Dubai Creek
1978 - Sheikh Rashid opened the HQ of the Union Bank of the Middle East
1978 - Sheikh Rashid formally launches the drilling of an offshore test well about 7.5 miles from Jebel Ali.
1979 - Sheikh Rashid appointed Prime Minister of UAE
1979 - Sheikh Rashid opens first unit of Steam Power Station and Desalination plant at Jebal Ali.
1979 - Sheikh Rashid opens new Bur Dubai Police Station
1979 - Sheikh Rashid inaugurates the Dubai Cable Company (DUCAB) at Jebel Ali
1980 - Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed al Maktoum inaugurated Municipal council
1980 - Sheikh Rashid Opens the Dh551 million Port Rashid Extension
1980 - Sheikh Rashid inaugurates Dubai Natural Gas (Dugas) by turning a valve at the LNG plant.
1982 - Sheikh Rashid opened the tunnel at clock tower roundabout in Dubai
1986 - The Federal Supreme Council unanimously reelects Sheikh Rashid for another five year term
October 7, 1990 - Sheikh Rashid passes away after leading Dubai into an age of rapid growth
Copyright © 2019 Khaleej Times. All Rights Reserved. Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. (Syndigate.info).