- You can also take the FOCP Relay for Life fitness challenge to stay healthy while helping cancer patients in need
- Friends Of Cancer Patient’s ‘I Deserve a Life’ initiative has collected AED 8.9m since 2013 and supported 1,666 cancer patients
Sharjah: Friends of Cancer Patients (FOCP), a UAE-based civil society organisation dedicated to reducing the burden of cancer on community by generating awareness and offering financial support to patients in need, has renewed its appeal to individuals and organisations to contribute generously to its Zakat initiative, ‘I Deserve a Life’, whose 2021 edition was launched in earlier in February.
Since 2013, FOCP’s Zakat campaign has involved community members, government bodies and private organisations to collectively raise AED 8.9 million, which has supported the cancer treatment journeys of 1,666 patients in the UAE who cannot afford it.
The non-profit lauded the funds raised this year will enable FOCP to continue on its mission to give needy cancer patients access to chemotherapy and radiation sessions, surgeries, transplants, and medication, and also cover other expenses incurred during diagnosis and treatment.
How to donate
To support the vital work done by FOCP, individuals and organisations in the UAE can choose to make a difference in the lives of people with cancer in several ways.
- Online donations: Toensure that cancer patients receive the lifesaving treatment and access to care they need, make your donations directly to FOCP’s ‘I Deserve a Life’ Zakat fund via its website: https://focp.ae/donate-zakat/
- Zakat coupons: Help cancer patients through their treatment journey by purchasing Zakat coupons of AED 10, 50,100, 500 and 1,000 at https://focp.ae/donate-zakat/
- Yalla Give: Harness the power of collective efforts with personal or team fundraising drive via Yalla Give, the licensed online donation and crowdfunding platform in the UAE, on https://yallagive.com/en/charity/Friends-of-Cancer-Patients. Individuals can set up their own crowdfunding campaign and encourage family members and friends to donate while companies can encourage employees to be part of the giving movement.
- SMS Donations: Save lives with a simple SMS!Message the word ‘Zakat’ to the Etisalat numbers: 2303 to donate Dh10; 2305 to donate Dh50, 2307 to donate AED100; or 2308 to donate Dh500.
- Bank Transfers: You may donate any amount of money to support FOCP’s mission by transferring funds into FOCP’s ‘Zakatkm Elajohm’ local account no: 0011-364854-002 at the Sharjah Islamic Bank (International Bank Account Number ‘IBAN’: AE440410000011364854002).
Every dirham is a ray of hope in the lives of cancer patients fighting for survival
Speaking proudly about the undulating support FOCP’s Zakat campaign has received from all segments of the UAE community, Hamid Al Hamid, Program Manager Community Affairs at FOCP, said, “In 2020, our Zakat drive succeeded in collecting a sum of AED 2.1 million which supported 346 patients and over the past nine years, our nation’s unparalleled generosity has ensured cancer treatment for 1,666 cancer patients who wouldn’t have been able to afford it otherwise., funding 40 chemotherapies, 07 radiotherapies, 44 medications, 10 surgeries, 20 scans, 44 medical equipment, and 1 bone marrow transplant.”
“Through this year’s Zakat campaign, we aim to surpass last year’s figure. This is the reason we made our call to community in February this year – much earlier than usual – because we need to rally stronger support for our society. We urge everyone to come forward and do their best. No contribution is too big or small; every dirham is a ray of hope in the lives of cancer patients fighting for survival;” , affirming that Zakat donations are spent under the guidelines of Islamic Sharai law.
Give and gain through FOCP’s fitness challenge
After a successful run last year, FOCP is bringing its charity fitness challenge on the ‘Relay by FOCP’ smart application, back for the UAE community. Called the ‘Give & Gain 2021’ Ramadan challenge, this month-long challenge which runs until May 4, offers a unique chance to those who want to work on their own fitness while embracing the spirit of giving associated with Ramadan.
To participate in the drive, individuals need to download the Relay by FOCP app and create their accounts. The app will then keep track of the number of steps the app’s user takes, an upon the completion of a certain number of steps, the user will be eligible to donate a specified amount to FOCP.
Organisations have also been welcomed to contribute to FOCP’s efforts to boost cancer awareness advocacy and providing treatment support by encouraging their employees to register as part of their companies in the ‘Give & Gain 2021’ challenge and achieve their daily quota of 5,000 steps. Participating companies will donate 1 fil to FOCP’s Zakat fund for every step their employees take.
The ‘I Deserve a Life’ 2021 campaign is supported by major entities such as the Her Highness Sheikha Jawaher Al Qasimi Executive Office, Health Promotion, UAE Baraq, Sharjah Cooperative Society, Al Rawabi, 800contact Sharjah and National Network Communications (NNC). The organisations are ensuring that the campaign reaches the widest possible audience by promoting the initiative via their social media platforms, store advertisements and emailers to their customer database.
© Press Release 2021