Kuwait: Mezzan Holding KSC, one of the largest manufacturers and distributors of food, beverage, FMCG, and pharmaceutical products in the Gulf, announced that it’s solely-owned subsidiary, Jassim Al Wazzan Sons General Trading Company W.L.L, has acquired the remaining 49% of a joint venture it had previously invested in that has distribution rights for Medtronic and Covidien products in Kuwait. As a result of the acquisition, Mezzan Holding now owns 100% of the JV company and has full distribution rights for both brands and their product lines.
The transaction, valued at KD2.5 million, is Mezzan's latest investment in the healthcare sector and expands its value-added healthcare capabilities. Noting that the outstanding balance from the existing partner’s previous commercial transactions will be deducted from this amount. Once the transaction is completed, the Joint Venture between Mezzan Holding and its partner will be terminated, and the income resulting from the distribution rights will be entirely the share of Mezzan Holding.
Medtronic is a global producer of medical devices and therapies, such as insulin pumps, pacemakers, and diabetes therapies. Best known for its revolutionary cardiac devices, such as battery-powered and miniature pacemakers, it also has introduced cutting-edge products into the industry. Medtronic created the first hybrid closed-loop insulin delivery system, also it created the world's smallest spinal cord stimulator implant. Medtronic operational headquarters is located in Minnesota, United States of America.
Mezzan Holding Executive Vice Chairman Mohammad Jassim Al Wazzan, said: “This transaction will strengthen our presence in the Kuwait healthcare sector, as we continue to expand our healthcare capabilities and provide more cutting-edge and crucial products to our customers.”
Mezzan Holding CEO, Garrett Walsh, commented: “The purchase of Medtronic distribution rights fits into Mezzan’s strategy and it complements our overall healthcare offering. This investment represents an important strategic opportunity to continue our expansion in the sector by offering world-class medical devices to hospitals, clinics, laboratories, doctors’ offices and a variety of other healthcare operations in Kuwait.”
About Mezzan Holding:
- Operates in seven countries through 30 subsidiaries with more than 8,500 employees
- Distributes over 34,000 Stock Keeping Units (SKU), making it one of the largest operators in terms of SKUs, unit sales, market share, and in terms of share of revenues of total consumer spending in consumer categories served by the company
- Active in various segments of the consumer staple industry supported by long-standing relationships with Johnson & Johnson, Kimberly-Clark, Reckitt Benckiser, General Mills, Arla Foods, Sara Lee, and many other leading brands and manufacturers
- Serves over 130,000 meals a day in Kuwait and Qatar through its catering business
- Has a total of 190,000 square meters in food, beverage, and FMCG manufacturing facilities in Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, and Afghanistan
- Leverages long-standing relationships with private and cooperative supermarkets
- Vertically integrated into complementary business operations, including packaging, catering, contract services, and logistics
- Food services customers include multinational fast-food chains, airline catering services, and large food services companies
Mezzan Holding is a 75-year old company that was listed on the Kuwait Stock Exchange in the second quarter of 2015. The company is headquartered in Kuwait with direct operational activities in Kuwait, UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Jordan, and Afghanistan.
For media inquiries, please contact:
Fawaz Al-Sirri | email@example.com
© Press Release 2021