Saudi Interior Ministry warns of quarantine if laxity in COVID-19 protocols continues

The high indicators of the epidemic curve of coronavirus in the Kingdom and the increase in critical cases lead us to a path that society does not want to pass through: ministry spokesman

  
A Saudi youth rides his motorbike on Tahlia Street as nightlife kicks off, after the government loosened lockdown restrictions following the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia June 21, 2020.

A Saudi youth rides his motorbike on Tahlia Street as nightlife kicks off, after the government loosened lockdown restrictions following the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia June 21, 2020.

REUTERS/Ahmed Yosri

RIYADH The Ministry of Interior warned on Sunday about re-imposing quarantine in cities and neighborhoods if the laxity on the part of the public in compliance with the preventive protocols continues.

Lt. Col. Talal Al-Shalhoub, spokesman of the ministry, said that the high indicators of the epidemic curve of coronavirus in the Kingdom and the increase in critical cases lead us to a path that society does not want to pass through.

“Some activities may be restricted, doors are to be closed, neighborhoods and cities may be put under isolation and quarantine with a halt to transportation, and everyone shall be blamed for carelessness,” he said while addressing a joint press conference to brief on the latest developments on coronavirus.

“Despite the efforts made by our wise government, which made human health first and the continuous warnings from the concerned authorities, to adhere to health precautionary measures that protect society from the epidemic and prevent its spread, we are still witnessing those who are lax in their compliance.

“The security authorities and the executive committees continue their inspection tours in all regions of the Kingdom to follow up the implementation of precautionary measures in cities and governorates, to catch those who violate the precautionary measures and preventive protocols,” he said.

Al-Shalhoub revealed that these rounds of inspections resulted in the seizure of a number of those who violated medical isolation and quarantine rules after they had been proven to be infected with coronavirus, which is considered as a violation of the precautionary measures and preventive protocols taken to confront the pandemic.

“All regular measures have been taken against them, as punishment is imposed on those who violate the instructions of medical isolation or quarantine, with a maximum fine of SR200,000 or imprisonment of two years, or of both. In the event of repeating the violation, the penalty imposed the previous time will be doubled,” he added.

 

© Copyright 2021 The Saudi Gazette. All Rights Reserved. Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. (Syndigate.info).

Disclaimer: The content of this article is syndicated or provided to this website from an external third party provider. We are not responsible for, and do not control, such external websites, entities, applications or media publishers. The body of the text is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis and has not been edited in any way. Neither we nor our affiliates guarantee the accuracy of or endorse the views or opinions expressed in this article. Read our full disclaimer policy here.

More From Risk