Dec 28 2012
|more articles from|
US Drone Strike Kills Two Qaeda Militants - Official
Friday, Dec 28, 2012
ADEN (AFP)--A U.S. drone strike in the Yemeni town of Shehr in the eastern province of Hadramawt killed two suspected members of Al-Qaeda on Friday, a local official said.
"Two members of Al-Qaeda on a motorcycle died on the spot when targeted by a missile fired by a U.S. drone," the official said on condition of anonymity.
On Monday, four other members of Al-Qaeda were killed and another wounded by three missiles fired at motorbikes in the same town.
U.S. drones have backed Yemeni forces combating militants of Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, the group's Yemen branch, considered by Washington to be the most active and deadliest franchise of the global jihadist network.
But after a month-long offensive launched in May by Yemeni troops, most militants fled to the more lawless desert regions of the east.
(END) Dow Jones Newswires
© Copyright Zawya. All Rights Reserved.
- College student snares record long Burmese python near Miami
- What's in a name? U.S. starts using Myanmar as well as Burma
- Marijuana waste helps turn pot-eating pigs into tasty pork roast
- Man climbs onto dome of St Peter's to protest Italian politics
- Prague metro plans to launch love train for singles
- There's More