May 07 2012
|more articles from|
People's Assembly Elections: Syrians Head to Polls Monday
The Syrian streets, press, websites and social media reflected the flurry of the electoral propaganda which helped introduce the candidates, their platforms and statements to the electorate.
The political currents, powers and independent candidates are taking part in the lections with electoral rolls, alliances or independently under a judicial supervision that ensures fairness, freedom and democracy for the electorate in choosing their representatives.
According to the General Elections' Law, every Syrian citizen who have completed 18 years of age is eligible to vote unless he is deprived of this right.
Head of the Elections Higher Committee, Khalaf al-Azzawi, said that the electoral process will start at 7:00 a.m on Monday until 22:00 p.m , and then vote-counting starts attended by the candidates.
The number of candidates representing the social spectrum reached 7,195 in 15 electoral constituencies, competing through 12, 152 electoral centers for 250 parliamentary seats.
© SANA (Syria Arab News Agency) 2012
© Copyright Zawya. All Rights Reserved.
- Solar plane completes second leg of cross-country flight in Texas
- College student snares record long Burmese python near Miami
- What's in a name? U.S. starts using Myanmar as well as Burma
- Marijuana waste helps turn pot-eating pigs into tasty pork roast
- Man climbs onto dome of St Peter's to protest Italian politics
- There's More