Jul 03 2012
|more articles from|
Iran, US flex muscles in case of conflict
Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012
Dubai The United States has moved new forces into the Gulf to keep the Strait of Hormuz open and strike deep within Iran in the event of a regional military escalation, while Iran said it successfully fired several dozen missiles, raising tensions in the region.
“The message to Iran is, “Don’t even think about closing the strait. We’ll clear the mines. Don’t even think about sending your fast boats out to harass our vessels or commercial shipping. We’ll put them on the bottom of the Gulf.” The New York Times quoted a senior Defence Department official as saying.
Iran, meanwhile, said it test-fired ballistic missiles - including a medium-range Shahab-3 ballistic weapon with a range capable of striking Israel - in war games in its central desert region designed to show its capacity for counter-attack.
Iranian MPs have signed a draft law aimed at banning Europe-bound oil tankers from using the Strait of Hormuz to punish EU nations that slapped sanctions on the Islamic republic,
Gulf News Report
© Gulf News 2012. All rights reserved.
© Copyright Zawya. All Rights Reserved.
- UPDATE 1-Korean women scrap meeting Japanese mayor over brothel remarks
- REFILE-Elderly Korean women cancel meet with Osaka mayor over war brothel remarks
- Korean "grannies" cancel meet with Osaka mayor over war brothel remarks
- Solar plane completes second leg of cross-country flight in Texas
- College student snares record long Burmese python near Miami
- There's More