Dubai: Dubai Police closed down a street and diverted traffic to allow more than 150 volunteers serve up iftar dinners to 10,000 labourers.
The meals were provided by international private equity firm Berkeley Assets to mark Laylatul-Qadr, one of the holiest nights of the year for Muslims.
“I’m so proud of my team and everyone else who turned out to deliver the food on this special day,” said Omar Jackson, partner at Berkeley Assets, who planned the initiative. “We’re indebted to Dubai Police who gave us fantastic support to make it happen.”
After officers from Al Qusais Police station closed down the street in the Sonapur labour camp on Friday, the volunteers formed a human chain to serve the iftar diners, prepared using more than 2,500 chickens and 4,000 kilos of rice.
Among those helping was UN Goodwill Ambassador H.E.Roy Fernandes who said: “This was a wonderful initiative by Omar and his team. They have got Dubai Police and so many others involved and everybody worked together to make sure that such a large number of people got fed.”
Jackson added: “Working closely with Dubai Police to help bring this idea to life has been an incredible honour and my particular thanks go to First Corporal Abdullah Hassan Saeed Alhoseni, Major Nasser Abdulaziz Alkhaja, Lieutenant Jassim Mirza Alameri, Brigadier Yousef Abdullah Salem Aladede and all the officers at Al Qusais Station.”
- Lieutenant Jassim Mirza Alameri briefs volunteers at Al Qusais Police Station
- Omar Jackson with UN Goodwill Ambassador H.E. Roy Fernandes who joined more than 150 volunteers to give out meals
- More than 150 volunteers worked together
- Volunteers form a human chain to service up meals to 10,000 labourers
- Omar Jackson helps to distribute iftar meal boxes
- Breaking fast at the Sonapur Labour Camp in Dubai
- It was a meal to remember for the labourers
- Dubai Police had closed down a street in the Sonapur labour camp
For further press information please contact:
Lindsay Johnston / Sean Muir
Tel: + 971 4 4281502
Email: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
© Press Release 2019