|07 December, 2019

King Salman leads Saudi official condemnations of Florida attack

King Salman also assured President Trump of Saudi Arabia's support to the US and told him that directives had been issued to Saudi security agencies to fully cooperate with the US security agencies

Saudi Arabia's King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud arrives to address the Shura Council in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia November 20, 2019. Bandar Algaloud/Courtesy of Saudi Royal Court/Handout via REUTERS Image used for illustrator purpose

Saudi Arabia's King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud arrives to address the Shura Council in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia November 20, 2019. Bandar Algaloud/Courtesy of Saudi Royal Court/Handout via REUTERS Image used for illustrator purpose

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia's King Salman called US President Donald J. Trump Friday night to express his deep sorrow and grief over the Florida shooting of a number of American citizens by a Saudi student.

"The king extended his sincere condolences and sympathies to the President and to the families of the victims, wishing a speedy recovery to the wounded," the Saudi Press Agency reported.

"The king also affirmed that the perpetrator of this heinous crime does not represent the Saudi people who respect and appreciate the American people," the report said.

King Salman also assured President Trump of Saudi Arabia's support to the US and told him that directives had been issued to Saudi security agencies to fully cooperate with the US security agencies in their investigations to get to the bottom of the incident.

Adel Al-Jubeir, Minister of State for Foreign Affairs said: “My deepest sympathies and heartfelt condolences go out to the American people, and to the families of those effected by the tragedy that unfolded at Pensacola."

Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador to the US Princess Reema bint Bandar said her thoughts are with the families of those effected by the shooting.

Prince Faisal bin Farhan, the foreign minister, described the shooting as a "heinous crime."

"The Kingdom expresses its deepest condolences to the families of victims, and to the American people. We salute the bravery of those who neutralized the threat and saved lives," he said.

Deputy Minister of Defence Prince Khalid bin Salman also extended his condolences to those effected.

He said that like many Saudi military personnel he was trained in a US military base.
“We used that valuable training to fight side by side with our American allies against terrorism and other threats,” Prince Khalid said on Twitter.

“A large number of Saudi graduates of the Naval Air Station in Pensacola moved on to serve with their U.S counterparts in battlefronts around the world, helping to safeguard regional and global security. Today's tragic event is strongly condemned by everyone in Saudi Arabia."

Copyright: Arab News © 2019 All rights reserved. Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. (Syndigate.info).

Disclaimer: The content of this article is syndicated or provided to this website from an external third party provider. We are not responsible for, and do not control, such external websites, entities, applications or media publishers. The body of the text is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis and has not been edited in any way. Neither we nor our affiliates guarantee the accuracy of or endorse the views or opinions expressed in this article. Read our full disclaimer policy here.

More From Economy