As at 31 December 2019, Alba’s Total Assets stood at BD2,420.25 million(US$6,436.84 million), versus BD2,208.89 million (US$5,874.71 million) as at 31 December 2018, up by 10% YoY. Total Shareholders’ Equity as at December 31, 2019 stood at BD1,078.57 million(US$ 2,868.54 million), versus BD1,073.47 million (US$2,854.97 million) as at 31 December 2018.
2019 Industry Highlights
- Global primary aluminium demand contracted in 2019 thanks to weaker economic growth landscape in Europe and China, trade-tensions and slow global manufacturing. As a result, the World consumption reached 64.5 million metric tonne (MT) [2018: 65 million MT] with Asia consumption down by 1% YoY with Japan and South Korea leading this decline, Europe demand slowed-down by 2% YoY due to weaker demand in the auto sector, North America demand collapsed by 4% YoY due to a decline in manufacturing; in addition, MENA consumption shrunk by 5% YoY fuelled by geopolitical tension.
- World production almost flat - stood at 63.4 million MT [2018: 63.8 million MT] with Asian supply down by 1% YoY supported by Chinese supply disruptions [a drop of 2% YoY]; however, production in North America rallies by 4% YoY on the back of smelters’ restarts. This has led the World market to be in deficit with China (-1,028 Kt) & (-492 Kt) w/o China.
- LME inventories at ~1.4 million MT in December 2019 [~ 1.3 million in 2018].
- LME-cash averaged US$1,792/t, down by 15% YoY.
- Physical premium prices continue to soften owing to a mild global recession and weaker demand.
2019 Alba Highlights
- Closed 2019 with >15 million working-hours w/o LTI for the first time in the history of Alba’s commercial operations.
- Sales’ volume reached 1,350,326 metric tonnes (MT) up by 33% YoY.
- Production topped 1,365,005 MT up by 35% YoY.
- Successfully Refinanced US$1.5 Billion Syndicated Loan Facility with Lower Interest Margin.
- Signed Regain as the technology partner for its Spent Pot Lining (SPL) Treatment Plant - the first of its kind in GCC [capacity to treat 30k-35k metric tonne/year].
- Alba is now the largest smelter in the world w/o China thanks to the safe ramp-up of Line 6:
- Line 6 was commissioned in 23 months [vs. 30 months for other similar projects]
- CAPEX for Line 6 construction <US$4,000/MT
2020 Alba Priorities
- Continued Focus on ‘Safety Globe’ Initiative.
- Deliver on Project Titan - Phase IV [Projected Savings of US$100 Million by 2020-end].
- Focus on Future Upstream Opportunities to secure Alumina requirements.
- Value-Added Sales’ Product Qualification with Aluminium Stewardship Initiative (ASI) and Ecovadis certifications.
- Roll-out Alba’s new Vision, Mission and Values.
- Deliver SPL treatment plant as per timeline.
Aluminium Bahrain B.S.C. (Alba) released its Full-Year and Fourth Quarter 2019 Results during a meeting of the Company’s Board of Directors on Thursday 13 February 2020. In addition, Alba’s Board of Directors approved the appointment of Mr. Ali Al Baqali as the Chief Executive Officer with immediate effect.
Commenting on Alba’s 2019 financial performance, the Chairman of Alba’s Board of Directors, Shaikh Daij Bin Salman Bin Daij Al Khalifa said:
“It is encouraging to see that Alba has closed 2019 strong despite a challenging year for the industry.
2019 was a great year as we have recorded many firsts in Alba’s history: breakthrough record in Safety, Production and Sales’ volume thanks to our people.
With Mr. Al Baqali as the realm of Alba in this next chapter of growth, our Company is better positioned for further success.”
Adding further, Alba’s Chief Executive Officer, Ali Al Baqali said:
“Despite a weak market sentiment, we have made 2019 an exceptional year by focusing on what we control best at all times: Safety, Production and Cost.
It is an honour and privilege to serve Alba as the Chief Executive Officer and I look forward to work together with Alba’s Board of Directors as we go beyond Line 6.
I also want to thank all Alba employees and contractors for a great 2019 and look forward to more accomplishments.”
Alba Management will hold a conference call on Monday 17 February 2020 to discuss Alba's performance for the 2019 Full-Year Results as well as outline the Company's priorities for 2020.
Mr. Al Baqali has been part of the Alba family for more than two decades and brings years of leadership and honed experience from within the Company. As a Bahraini who grew from within Alba, Mr. Al Baqali believes that Alba’s growth and success depend heavily on the Company’s entrenched principles on Safety, Development of Human Capital, Social and Civic Responsibility as well as Community Development.
Mr. Al Baqali is a professional member of the Chartered Institute of Purchasing & Supply (CIPS), UK; Board member of the International Aluminum Institute (IAI), INJAZ, Saint Christopher’s School and Tenmou, the first Bahraini Business Angels Company. Ali holds a B.Sc. degree in Accounting from the University of Bahrain and an MBA from the French Arabian Business School - ESSEC.
Bahrain was the first country in the Arab region to start an aluminium smelter. Starting-out as a 120,000 metric tonne per annum (mtpa) smelter in 1971, Alba today is a 1-plus million-metric tonnes smelter. Alba’s product portfolio comprises high-grade aluminium and Value-Added Products that include standard and T-ingots, extrusion billets, rolling slabs, properzi ingots and molten aluminium
Alba is listed on both the Bahrain Bourse and London Stock Exchange, and the Company’s shareholders are Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Company (69.38%), SABIC Industrial Investment Company (20.62%) and the General Public (10%).
Entering its fifth decade of commercial operations, Alba is rightly regarded as a pioneer in the industrial history of both - the Gulf region and Bahrain - carving an enviable reputation in Safety, Employee Development and sustainable operations.
About Line 6 Expansion Project
Alba’s Line 6 Expansion Project was inaugurated by His Majesty King Hamad Bin Isa Al Khalifa the King of the Kingdom of Bahrain on 24 November 2019. Line 6 Expansion Project has made Alba the world’s largest smelter ex-China. Potline 6 will boost Alba’s per-annum production by 540,000 metric tonnes, bringing Alba’s total production capacity to 1.54 million metric tonnes per year.
With a CAPEX of approximately US$3 billion, the Line 6 Expansion Project was the largest brownfield expansion in the region. The Project comprised: construction of sixth pot line utilising EGA’s proprietary DX+ Ultra Technology, a 1,792 MW Power Station (Power Station 5) and other industrial services.
Bechtel was the EPCM contractor for the Line 6 Expansion Project smelter. For Power Station 5 (PS5), GE and GAMA Consortium was awarded the EPC contract, while Siemens was the Power Distribution System contractor.
Alba started 106 pots in Line 6 on 26 March 2019 followed by another 106 pots on 18 April 2019. Alba Potline 6 was commissioned on 13 December 2018 with the delivery of the First Hot Metal ahead of its schedule. Alba also announced an achieved savings of more than US$370 million in the execution of Potline 6 – corresponding to 16% savings of its allotted budget.
The Line 6 Expansion Project achieved a total of 60,893,000 working-hours without Lost Time Injury as on 21 November 2019.
One of Bahrain’s flagship asset, the Line 6 Expansion Project will be transformational to Bahrain and its people. Alba will continue to focus on the local and regional downstream cluster and seek opportunities to contribute further to the economic diversification of the Kingdom.
Alba External Grievance Mechanism
Alba, in line with the Performance Standards of the International Finance Corporation (IFC), a World Bank affiliated lending organisation, has launched its External Grievance Mechanism to receive and facilitate the resolution of the affected communities’ concerns and grievances about Alba’s Environment and Social (E&S) performance.
External grievances about Alba’s E&S performance can be logged via the Alba Integrity Line - an independently operated confidential reporting hotline in multiple languages - via a toll-free phone system or via the intranet 24 hours a day, every day.
For further details, please contact:
Senior Manager, Investor Relations & Corporate Secretary
Investor Relations Department
Tel: (973) 1783 5100
Follow us on:
© Press Release 2020