The signing ceremony was attended by key representatives from Expo 2020 and Siemens, including Her Excellency Reem Al Hashimy, Director General, Expo 2020 Dubai; Marjan Faraidooni, Chief Pavilions and Exhibitions Officer, Expo 2020 Dubai; Dr. Roland Busch, Deputy CEO, CTO, and Member of the Managing Board of Siemens AG; and Michael Bueker, CFO of Siemens LLC & Siemens Middle East.
Marjan Faraidooni, said: “We are delighted to announce this long-term agreement that extends Siemens’ commitment within District 2020, where they will play a key role in the transition of the Expo 2020 site into a tech-enabled and human-centred smart city. The partnership supports our vision to curate an ecosystem that enables cross-industry collaboration between global businesses, ultimately driving their respective industries forward.
“Collaborating with Siemens is significant as we work to create an innovation-focused environment that delivers value for decades to come, as part of a meaningful legacy for Expo 2020 Dubai. Thanks to its remarkable global reputation, Siemens will help us to attract other businesses who will benefit from being in close proximity to major players in technologies and growth sectors of the UAE economy.”
As Expo 2020 Dubai’s Official Infrastructure Digitalisation Partner, Siemens’ presence at District 2020 will help drive multi-sector innovation and idea sharing between organisations, particularly in Dubai’s key industries of logistics, energy, and future technologies.
The agreement also reinforces District 2020’s commitment to curate a future-proof ecosystem underpinned by next-generation digital connectivity, aligning with the UAE’s drive to become a hub for innovation and emerging technologies. Siemens’ pioneering work in Internet of Things (IoT), cloud computing, and big data will play a key role in optimising the way the city operates and performs, ultimately to benefit the community that will work and live there.
Dietmar Siersdorfer, CEO of Siemens UAE and Middle East, said: “Together with Expo 2020 Dubai we are developing a blueprint for future smart cities, making its legacy District 2020 a perfect base for our future operations in Dubai. Our new offices will be some of the most technologically advanced in the UAE, and our decision to call District 2020 home underscores our commitment to investing in the future of Dubai and the region beyond 2020.”
The two office buildings will inherit the building technologies installed by Siemens for Expo 2020 Dubai. This includes the smart sensors from Enlighted, a Siemens IoT solutions provider. The IoT platform creates ‘sensory systems’ throughout the building, providing real-time data and analytics into how the building is being used. Siemens will also implement its digital building management system Desigo CC, and its cloud-based energy analytics platform Navigator which will connect 137 buildings across the site.
District 2020 is the physical manifestation of Expo 2020’s long-term investment in the future of the UAE, boosting the economy, helping to spur growth and support jobs for many years to come. A report published in April 2019 by global consultancy EY predicted that Expo 2020 would contribute AED 122.6 billion (USD 33.4 billion) to the UAE economy and support 905,200 job-years from 2013-31. This ‘economic dividend’ will benefit a wide range of sectors, including transport, retail, food and beverage, hospitality, construction and business services.
With more than 200 participants, including 192 countries, Expo 2020 will run from 20 October 2020 until 10 April 2021. It is expected to welcome 25 million visits.
About District 2020
District 2020’s vision is to become a mixed-use community and innovation ecosystem that directly contributes to the growth of Dubai’s innovation economy. A diverse and inclusive urban community in the heart of new Dubai that attracts the largest organisations, budding young enterprises, and families to live and work. A place to Connect. Create. Innovate.
Following the six months of Expo 2020 Dubai, District 2020 will transition into a smart and sustainable global destination, carrying forward the spirit of the World Expo. District 2020 supports the UAE’s vision for sustainable economic development and is focused on driving growth in key industries and technologies including: travel & tourism, logistics & transport, education, and construction, internet of things, artificial intelligence, big data, and blockchain.
District 2020 is integrated, with purpose-built smart infrastructure designed to cater to the needs of future workers and residents. It combines an innovation district with contemporary residences, education facilities, entertainment venues, and a range of social attractions. Designed to provide the perfect balance of convenience, connection and community.
- District 2020 will retain more than 260,000 sqm of GFA of LEED Gold structures from Expo 2020 Dubai. These will be transitioned into residential, commercial, and cultural neighbourhoods.
- 80% of the Expo 2020 Dubai site will be re-purposed, retaining the iconic structures including Al Wasl Plaza and Terra - the Children and Science Center, the Dubai Exhibition Centre (DEC), and three main districts, in addition to cutting edge digital and physical infrastructure.
- Located within Dubai South, near Al Maktoum International Airport, District 2020 is ideally connected and easily accessible from all of the UAE’s air and sea ports.
- District 2020 will be the global headquarters for Siemens AG global logistics operations, and other key anchor tenants.
- It will be a holistic community with several neighbourhoods made up of multi-use residential, commercial, and green open spaces, world-class social and cultural platforms, education facilities along with a varied hospitality, retail, and F&B offering.
- A connected and tech-enabled urban community, District 2020 will have advanced digital connectivity through its adoption of 5G technology, and other smart systems and technologies.
- District 2020 will be ready for occupancy by October 2021 following a 6 to 9 months period of re-purposing and transition from Expo 2020.
- The development will grow over phases, and at full capacity will be home to 145,000 residents and workers.
For more information, please visit www.district2020.ae and to connect with District 2020 via LinkedIn, please visit https://www.linkedin.com/company/district2020 , via Instagram on https://www.instagram.com/district2020/ and via YouTube on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTm8zZK7j5WWjqhFSqasz4A?
For media enquiries, please contact:
Memac Ogilvy, PR & Influence, Dubai
Tel: +971 (0) 50 914 0812
© Press Release 2020