Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, said on Sunday that the worst is over for the UAE, referring to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Sheikh Mohammed issued the statement after emerging from a cabinet meeting in which he was briefed on the latest developments regarding the country’s fight against the outbreak.
“The worst has passed… and the UAE worked as one team during the pandemic… and the result is a global superiority in dealing with it,” Sheikh Mohammad said on social media.
The Dubai ruler also confirmed that the cabinet has approved the regulations that will ensure the quality and supply of medicines and other pharmaceutical products in the country.
“The goal is to ensure the presence and quality of all our national medical needs throughout the year… and in all regions of the country,” he said.
The number of daily coronavirus cases in the country has flatlined to under 1,000 since August 24, a huge improvement from the daily case count of more than 4,000 early this year.
The surge in cases at the beginning of the year had prompted the government to reinstate some restrictions. The UAE was later placed under the UK red list for travel.
Just this month, the British government announced it will move the UAE from the red to amber list, enabling passengers from the Arab nation to visit the UK without undergoing isolation at a government-appointed quarantine hotel.
The UAE has one of the world’s highest vaccination rates, with more than 18 million vaccine doses administered so far. It also announced that it will issue tourist visas to all vaccinated visitors from various countries around the world.
(Reporting by Cleofe Maceda; editing by Seban Scaria)
Disclaimer: This article is provided for informational purposes only. The content does not provide tax, legal or investment advice or opinion regarding the suitability, value or profitability of any particular security, portfolio or investment strategy. Read our full disclaimer policy here.
© ZAWYA 2021