Apr 18 2012
|more articles from|
'Flying from UAE to US in one hour will become reality'
Virgin Galactic to build spaceport in Abu Dhabi
A report in Emarat Al Youm quoted Virgin Galactic CEO George Whitesides as saying, "Under the 2009 deal the two companies agreed that Abu Dhabi would gain exclusive regional rights, subject to receipt of regulatory clearances, to host Virgin Galactic tourism and scientific research space flights."
"Perhaps one day to see a future generation of our spaceships to fly from here to Abu Dhabi to New Mexico in no more than an hour... The first city pair in which the globe is once again brought closer together for the benefit of us all," he added.
A senior executive has been appointed to set up a port in the UAE capital which will become a second base to Spaceport America's already-existing base in New Mexico.
Virgin Galactic received its 500th customer deposit for suborbital flights, which cost $200,000 per person.
© Emirates 24|7 2012
© Copyright Zawya. All Rights Reserved.
More in Travel & Tourism
- UPDATE 1-Korean women scrap meeting Japanese mayor over brothel remarks
- REFILE-Elderly Korean women cancel meet with Osaka mayor over war brothel remarks
- Korean "grannies" cancel meet with Osaka mayor over war brothel remarks
- Solar plane completes second leg of cross-country flight in Texas
- College student snares record long Burmese python near Miami
- There's More