Apr 11 2012
|more articles from|
Police will not monitor social media sites
Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012
Dubai: Police will not monitor social networking websites as this would be a violation of personal freedom, a senior Dubai Police official said yesterday.
Major General Khamis Matar Al Mazeina, Deputy Chief of Dubai Police, said the UAE respects personal liberties and privacy, and no social networking accounts will be monitored unless there is a complaint.
Denying an earlier statement by an officer from the CID’s anti-electronic crime section, who said content on social networking websites will be tracked, Maj Gen Al Mazeina said: “We respect personal liberty and only step in when there is a complaint or a crime calling for our intervention ... but we are not a control authority.
By Dina Aboul Hosn, Staff Reporter
© Copyright Zawya. All Rights Reserved.
People Who Read This Also Read
More in Media
- Number of entries for ADIB & Thomson Reuters' Ethical Finance Innovation Challenge and Awards (EFICA) exceeds last year
- Dubai One confirms it’s shutting down production
- Kuwait strips citizenship of two opposition figures, relatives
- UAE demands apology from Al Jazeera over Gaza report
- Gay man sentenced for twitter debauchery in Saudi Arabia