| 16 April, 2017

Qatar sets out criteria for government school admissions for expat students

A shot of an Asian student getting books in a library. Image used for illustrative purpose.

A shot of an Asian student getting books in a library. Image used for illustrative purpose.

16 April 2017

The Ministry of Education and Higher Education said it will receive applications from expatriates working in private and semi-private sectors wanting to register their children in government schools from April 23 to July 6, 2017. The Ministry has also announced the criteria for admissions of expatriate children.

The policy applies to the academic year 2017/18. Expatriate parents looking for admission of their children in government schools are required to present copies of passports and IDs of parents and the child, a letter from the workplace including details of monthly salary, bank statement for the last three months and a copy of the child’s birth certificate and school certificate.

The applicant also needs to present a valid house contract. The ministry has set up a special committee to consider applications for exceptional admission of expatriate children whose parents are working in the private sector and it has created seats for such exceptional admissions.

Meanwhile, the Ministry announced in May last year that it is going to accept children of expatriates in government schools if they are living in areas where private schools are not available. These areas include Al Shamal, Dukhan, Rawdat Rashed, Al Kiranah, Shehanieyha, Al Ghuwairiyah, Zubarah, Al Kharsaah, Al Kaaban, Al Ghashamiyah and Al Jamiliyah.

For this purpose, the ministry identified in a special circular a list of schools, including 20 schools most of which are located in the northern part of the country.

Interested parents have been asked to apply at the ministry’s website before the deadline. Applicants must make sure that the required documents are provided, said the Ministry.

In case of any inquiries, applicants could refer to the "user’s guide" at the Ministry’s portal or watch the relevant video provided or call the hotline 155 and there is no need to visit the ministry’s head office, said the Ministry.The Ministry has said this service is for the children of the expats who are not allowed to join government schools in accordance with Article (1) of the policy regulation.

© The Peninsula 2017