×
×
Advertisement

Jun 02 2015

New decree removes prior censorship of TV shows - Law simplifies production works

By Nawara Fattahova New decree removes prior censorship of TV shows - Law simplifies production works Photo Credit:Reuters/Wolfgang Rattay
KUWAIT: A new decree that aims to simplify the work and production process of media production companies by removing prior censorship of TV programs was issues recently.

The Ministry of Information organized a seminar late Sunday to discuss the ministry's decree no. 18/2015 dealing with the approval, production and broadcast of visual and audio works. "This will allow companies to produce their works in a shorter period than in the past.

This decree was prepared by a committee formed by Minister Sheikh Salman Al- Hmoud Al-Sabah in order to improve the content of local dramas and soap operas. The ministry is keen to present useful productions that participate in solving social problems," said Lulwa Al-Salem, assistant undersecretary for press and publication at the ministry of information.

This decree is very important for those working in the media production business. "It will simplify the work of media production companies, as this decree only demands previous approval for the production of TV dramas without a demand for broadcasting. The decree also canceled article 14 of law 61/2007, which was limiting production companies, as it demanded permission for every part of the production process, while companies can now produce all the episodes after receiving permission for the script," she added.

Benefits
The new decree has more benefits. "The decree also canceled article 19 of law 61/2007 that forbade any changes, editing, canceling or adding to the approved script. It's now possible to do partial modification of the script as long as it doesn't change the idea or subject and is not in conflict with the law and general morals or system.

As a result of this new decree, the censorship by the ministry will be after the broadcast of a TV serial," Salem said. Khalid Al-Duwaihi, consultant of the minister of information, spoke about the formation of the committee that agreed on issuing the new decree, which had 10 members including only four from the ministry and six from art unions and societies.

The old law caused a loss of about KD 9 million through 13 Kuwaiti soap operas that were shot abroad. "During the past 15 years, production of local soap operas increased by 400 percent. And we hope that with the new decree, it will increase even more. This decree is a great example of cooperation between NGOs and the ministry," said Khalaf Al-Anezi, Secretary General of the Kuwaiti Union of Media Artists.

Freedom
Salah Al-Hatim, Marketing Manager of the Arab Information Center for Media Production, expressed happiness over the decree. "Although this decree is only related to soap operas, which our company doesn't produce as we only focus on documentaries, it's much better than the previous law. It gives more freedom to producers. This is an achievement, and if it is applied by other ministries, it will make a huge difference. It's a great step by the ministry," he told Kuwait Times.

© Kuwait Times 2015


© Copyright Zawya. All Rights Reserved.


Be the first to comment

Send This Article To Your Friends

All fields are required.

Use commas for multiple email addresses

We'll use your email address to send the article on your behalf and it will not be collected or used for any other purposes.

X

Before You Begin

Dear Valued Customer,

As previously communicated, Zawya Financial products are undergoing a migration to Thomson Reuters Eikon. To assist with an efficient migration and to allow us to serve you better, please complete this short survey. Your assistance is highly appreciated and we thank you in advance.

1. Are you the named user of this Zawya ID?

2. What is your job function?

3. Which asset class relates to your job function?