Held in its 9th edition under the theme of “the World in Dubai”, STEP Conference, the leading technology festival for emerging markets, just concluded with over AED 600 million worth of funding deals announced between companies, regional and homegrown startups.
The two-day event drew 7000 visitors with a total of 300 international and local exhibitors from 24 countries and 200 speakers taking part in the event. This reflected the innovation, growth and investment in technology and disruption across the emerging markets and reinforces Dubai’s status as the top destination for entrepreneurs to build and grow their businesses.
Ammar Al Malik, Managing Director of Dubai Internet City, added: “Over the last nine years, STEP has evolved into one of the largest and most exciting tech festivals in the region, and as a strategic partner, we are extremely proud to have contributed to its growth. Continuing the success of previous years, the 2020 edition of STEP, a proven hot bed for entrepreneurs, start-ups and investors, was a great way for DIC to kick-off its plans for the year and reiterate its notable economic contributions to the UAE and beyond.
“This year, DIC hosted ‘Float Your Pitch’ competition, and the response received was remarkable and earmarked another great event for us.”
Some of the key announcements from the conference were:
New investment platform Nuwa Capital was launched by managing partner Khaled Talhouni and is targeting up to USD$ 100 million in commitments in emerging markets, primarily covering the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) including KSA and UAE, East Africa, Pakistan and Turkey. Khaled Talhouni, Managing Partner at Nuwa Capital said: "We are at a pivotal moment for the ecosystem, where beyond capital, it has never been so important to provide founders with the right mentors, partners and operators, dedicated to helping them navigate the region's complex operating environment, and that is the vision behind Nuwa. Year after year, STEP continues to be MENA's hallmark event for startups, investors and other main stakeholders of the industry, and we as Nuwa Capital were very glad to have launched at the heart of the ecosystem."
Vezeeta, Middle East and Africa’s leading digital healthcare platform secured US$ 40 Million in its Series D round led by Gulf Capital, the Middle East’s largest and most active alternative asset management firm. The round had strong support from existing investor, Saudi Technology Ventures (STV), who led Vezeeta’s Series C round in September 2018.
Okadoc, the leading instant doctor appointment booking platform, closed its $10 million Series A round, following a $2.3 million seed round in 2018. The latest fundraising round is the largest heathtech Series A in MENA.
EAT app, a Dubai-based online restaurant reservation platform used throughout the Middle East, has raised a $5 million Series B round of funding led by 500 Startups and Derayah VC. This brings EAT’s total amount of money raised to $9.2 million.
Other key highlights from the conference:
- Shorages, a simple e-commerce storage and fulfillment services for small and media companies, won the Volkswagen Mobility Challenge.
- Wamda, the Middle East's startup ecosystem enabler, launched its 'The state of the pre-seed startups in MENA' report in collaboration with STEP Conference at the event on 11 February 2020.
- Dubai Chamber Market Access program took place on sidelines of STEP where corporates such as EmiratesNBD and Mediclinic amongst others were matched with startups.
- Top conversations were led by H.E Khalfan Belhoul, moderated by Fadi Ghandour; the Head of Emerging Technology and Global Partnerships at the Smart Dubai Office, Chief Digital Director Zeina El Kaissi and H.E. Henrik Landerholm, Ambassador of Sweden.
- Khadoum, an app that enables users to unlock a set of missions presented in the form of volunteer ideas and community challenges, won the STEP pitch competition
- Amna Al Qubaisi, the first female Emirati racing driver joined STEP Show.
Sign up now for STEP 2021 here
STEP is a millennial generation media company for young Arabs which focuses on technology and entrepreneurship, through dynamic and modern events, content, and media. STEP is mostly known for it’s flagship Step Conference which takes place annually in Dubai and Riyadh and gathers thousands of startups, entrepreneurs, and investors. STEP was listed as a Forbes top 100 startups in the Middle East and in the top 100 startup shaping the 4th industrial revolution by the World Economic Forum.
About Dubai Internet City
Dubai Internet City (DIC), a member of TECOM Group, is a unique ICT hub and is the only specialised technology business community in the region, it is a place where innovators and entrepreneurs from all over the world work, connect and share their vision for a bold new tomorrow.
© Press Release 2020