“We are seeing more and more misalignments between employer offerings and employee requirements. While employers must be realistic – they cannot afford to offer every available benefit to employees, we would recommend they review their benefits packages on a regular basis,” says Chris Greaves, Managing Director of Hays in the Gulf region.
When it comes to flexible working, 27% of employees stated it would improve their work-life balance, particularly working from home and flexitime, yet almost two thirds of employers (65%) do not offer it as part of a standard employment package.
“As the world of work evolves, people’s needs change and if employers are not receptive to this, they could risk losing some of their top performers.”
Staff retention considerations
Aside from benefits, the report also found employees to be dissatisfied with the career development opportunities provided by their employer, with 55% stating that there is no scope for career progression within their organisation.
“This is a worrying statistic given that career development was the single biggest reason why almost a third of working professionals in the region have moved organisation for each of the past three years,” says Chris.
From an employer perspective, the report found managerial/leadership skills to be the greatest skills shortage faced by employers.
“This seems ironic given the lack of opportunities working professionals say they are facing to develop in their career and it is clear that more can be done by employers to address this while at the same time overcoming skills shortages in the future.”
“The one thing we can say to employers is that if you are not providing employees with relevant benefits and not developing them either, then you are guaranteed to lose many of your employees to other organisations who do.”
Hays 2020 GCC Salary & Employment Report
The Hays 2020 GCC Salary & Employment Report provides an in-depth analysis of the 2019 GCC hiring market, with employer and employee expectations for 2020. For more information or to download your copy of the full report, visit the Hays website here.
Marketing Manager, Hays Gulf region
T: +971 4 559 5800 / +971 4 559 5898
Hays plc (the "Group") is a leading global professional recruiting group. The Group is the expert at recruiting qualified, professional and skilled people worldwide, being the market leader in the UK and Asia Pacific and one of the market leaders in Continental Europe and Latin America. The Group operates across the private and public sectors, dealing in permanent positions, contract roles and temporary assignments. As at 30 June 2019 the Group employed 11,500 staff operating from 265 offices in 33 countries across 20 specialisms. For the year ended 30 June 2019:
– the Group reported net fees of £1,129.7 billion and operating profit (pre-exceptional items) of £248.8 million;
– the Group placed around 81,000 candidates into permanent jobs and around 254,000 people into temporary assignments;
– 18% of Group net fees were generated in Australia & New Zealand, 27% in Germany, 23% in United Kingdom & Ireland and 32% in Rest of World (RoW);
– the temporary placement business represented 57% of net fees and the permanent placement business represented 43% of net fees;
– Hays operates in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Chile, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, the UK and the USA
© Press Release 2020