The worst is still to come from the COVID-19 pandemic and it is not even close to being over, World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a briefing on Monday (June 29).
"The worst is yet to come, I'm sorry to say that. But with this kind of environment and condition we fear the worst," Tedros said in Geneva.
Tedros said any country claiming contact tracing was too difficult was using a lame excuse.
Contact tracing involves identifying anyone exposed to an infected person and sending them into quarantine.
Tedros noted that June 30 marked six months since the WHO received its first reports of the outbreak in China and since then 10 million people had been infected across the world with 500,000 deaths recorded.
The WHO plans to send a team to China next week to investigate the origins of the virus to further its understanding of it.