Lebanon confirms 34 new virus cases, most from travelers

Nineteen cases were detected among travelers who have recently arrived from abroad. Fifteen were found among the local population

  
People wearing protective face masks walk along a street, as face masks become compulsory in public as part of the latest measures by authorities to curb the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Beirut, Lebanon May 29, 2020.

People wearing protective face masks walk along a street, as face masks become compulsory in public as part of the latest measures by authorities to curb the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Beirut, Lebanon May 29, 2020.

REUTERS/Aziz Taher

BEIRUT: The majority of confirmed coronavirus cases were detected among recent travelers Friday, as Lebanon registered 34 new cases, bringing the total number to 1,830.

Nineteen cases were detected among travelers who have recently arrived from abroad. Fifteen were found among the local population.

Experts had raised concerns of a surge in coronavirus after the reopening of the airport on July 1, which is expected to bring in 2,000 travelers a day.

Imported cases arrived from Saudi Arabia, Iraq, the United Arab Emirates and Qatar, the Health Ministry reported.

Eight cases were found in Baabda, two in Beirut, one in Metn, one in the Chouf, seven in Aley, one in Keserwan, one in Jbeil, five in Zgharta, three in Akkar and one in Bint Jbeil. Four are currently being investigated.

There have been 35 deaths due to coronavirus complications and 1,292 recoveries since the illness was first detected Feb.21.

Friday’s cases were detected among 1,981 PCR tests administered among the local population over the last 24 hours, and 1,367 PCR tests for travelers.

Flights from countries where PCR tests are administered prior to departure will constitute 80 percent of the Beirut airport traffic with the remaining 20 percent of flights from non-PCR countries.

Lebanon has no mandatory quarantine policy and incoming travelers from PCR countries are required to take a coronavirus test upon their arrival to the airport. Those who arrive from non-PCR countries will take a PCR test on arrival and will be required to take another test 72 hours later.

Health Minister Hamad Hasan said during a visit to the airport Friday that those arriving would be required to pay $50 to cover PCR tests, in addition to their tickets. Children under 12 are exempt from this fee.

Copyright © 2020, The Daily Star. All rights reserved. Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. (Syndigate.info).

Disclaimer: The content of this article is syndicated or provided to this website from an external third party provider. We are not responsible for, and do not control, such external websites, entities, applications or media publishers. The body of the text is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis and has not been edited in any way. Neither we nor our affiliates guarantee the accuracy of or endorse the views or opinions expressed in this article. Read our full disclaimer policy here.

More From Health