KUWAIT, March 27 (KUNA) -- Kuwait lost on Monday thousands of smiles when the Kuwaiti actor Khaled Al-Nafisi died at the age of 69 in Rabat, leaving behind him about half a century of art that contributed to the Kuwaiti drama and comedy movements.

Doctor Yousef Al-Attar who was taking care of Al-Nafisi told Kuwait News Agency (KUNA) Monday that the prominent actor's death was due to heart and lung complications.

Dr Al-Attar said that Al-Nafisi who was admitted at the hospital on March 25, died today on 7:30 pm in Rabat Hospital at the age of 64.

Al-Attar noted that Al-Nafisi was accompanied by the Kuwaiti Ambassador to Morocco Salah Al-Buaijan and his brother-in-law when he died.

Born in 1937, Al-Nafisi took his first artistic step in 1965 by taking a role in a Kuwaiti play called "Hope was Lost." Several Kuwaiti pioneering actors participated in the play including, Saleh Al-Ajeeri, Mohammed Al-Nashmi, Saad Al-Qatamy and Oqab Al-Khateeb.

Al-Nafisi was artistically adopted in 1961 by the founder of Kuwaiti theater movement Zaki Tolaimat who allowed him to play important roles in several famous Kuwaiti plays.

In 1964, Al-Nafisi joined the Arab Theater Band to take part in different careers changing plays such as "Kuwait in the Year 2000".

Al-Nafisi also had a glamorous career in television as he formed a glamorous duo with the Kuwaiti outstanding comedian Abdul-Hussein Abdul-Ridha to present one of the most successful television programs "Darb Al-Zalag".

Although his deteriorating health, Al-Nafisi just recently concluded his artistic career with a television program called "Bosaleh's Neighborhood" which was broadcast last year during the Ramadan month.