Dec 06 2010
|more articles from|
Regional security to top agenda at GCC summit
The meeting also follows the Manama Dialogue security conference where Iran was the central theme.
Speaking on the fringes of the opening of the GCC exhibition here on Sunday GCC Secretary General Abdul Rahman Al Attiyah affirmed that the summit chairmanship of President His Highness Shaikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan provides a factor of success to the major gathering.
"The Abu Dhabi summit is being convened at a critical time when the pace is being accelerated to boost joint GCC action and maintain security and stability," WAM quoted him as saying.
He added that the summit will pass a host of important decisions concerning the GCC power and rail grids and peaceful use of nuclear energy.
"The summit will approve a resolution allowing companies to open branches in member states, a move that is expected to deepen economic citizenship and improve joint investment climate," he disclosed.
Asked about the return of the UAE and Oman to the GCC monetary union, Al Attiyah said, "The UAE's role is important for the GCC joint action." On Oman's return, he added: "Muscat holds the view that it would join when it is ready for that step."
© Gulf News 2010
© Copyright Zawya. All Rights Reserved.
- UPDATE 1-Korean women scrap meeting Japanese mayor over brothel remarks
- REFILE-Elderly Korean women cancel meet with Osaka mayor over war brothel remarks
- Korean "grannies" cancel meet with Osaka mayor over war brothel remarks
- Solar plane completes second leg of cross-country flight in Texas
- College student snares record long Burmese python near Miami
- There's More