Aug 12 2010
|more articles from|
ABC Islamic Bank announces US$1.4 million half-year profit
Total income for the second quarter was $4.1 million, 5.4% above $3.9 million generated in the first quarter. Operating expenses increased marginally to $1.6 million compared to $1.4 million in the previous quarter. Operating profit before impairment provisions registered a 2.3% increase to reach $2.5 million. Impairment provision of $2.9 million was taken during the quarter, $2.2 million higher than the previous quarter.
Shareholders' equity at 30 June 2010 stood at $171.5 million, compared to $176.5 million at year-end 2009, the decrease was mainly due to the fall in the fair values of available-for-sale investments. The bank's capital base remains very strong with a capital adequacy ratio of 21.6%, predominantly Tier 1, which totaled 21.5%.
Commenting on the results, Mr. Naveed Khan, Managing Director, said, " ABC Islamic Bank was able to maintain a positive operating result in the first half of 2010 despite de-risking of the balance sheet and provisioning on impaired assets. The operating performance of the bank continues to show improvement from the previous quarter despite the higher provisioning required for an old collateral-linked exposure, currently in dispute, which we are fairly confident will be reversed eventually.
© Press Release 2010
© Copyright Zawya. All Rights Reserved.
More in Islamic Finance
- Golf-Westwood surges clear in Malaysia as Larrazabal dives for cover
- Filipinos nailed to cross in Easter ritual frowned on by church
- UPDATE 1-Fly me to Sochi, demands Cathay passenger armed with chocolate bar, court hears
- Fly me to Winter Olympics, demands Cathay passenger armed with Toblerone
- Toronto Mayor Ford opens re-election bid with 'cut the gravy' vow
- There's More