Jun 03 2012
|more articles from|
Parliament and Council to decide on provincial elections Monday
The two bodies will decide whether the provincial elections, that have already late due to postponements, will be postponed again, said Faraj Haidari, head of the IHEC, the electoral body tasked with conducting elections in the country.
"Tomorrow, the IHEC will meet with Imad Ahmed, deputy KRG Prime Minister to discuss the issue of the provincial elections." said Haidari. The provincial elections have been scheduled for September this year. However, the IHEC has been requesting from the KRG authorities to postpone the elections for another two months for technical reasons.
Some of the technical issue that the IHEC has warned about is that according to the Elections Law, the Christians need to for their own candidates lists so that the Christian voters will vote only for their Christian candidates within a quota system allocated for them. "But we still don't have a list of the Christian candidates ready yet"
© AK News 2012
© Copyright Zawya. All Rights Reserved.
People Who Read This Also Read
- College student snares record long Burmese python near Miami
- What's in a name? U.S. starts using Myanmar as well as Burma
- Marijuana waste helps turn pot-eating pigs into tasty pork roast
- Man climbs onto dome of St Peter's to protest Italian politics
- Prague metro plans to launch love train for singles
- There's More