Mar 03 2013
|more articles from|
Mubarak retrial to begin on April 13
Sunday, Mar 03, 2013
Cairo: Former president Hosni Mubarak and his interior minister Habib Al Adly will have a retrial, on charges of involvement in killing peaceful protesters, beginning on April 13, just nine days before parliamentary elections, judicial sources said on Sunday.
Six former security chiefs acquitted of the same charges will stand in the same trial, added the sources.
The date was announced on Sunday, two months after appeals were accepted from Mubarak and Al Adly against their life sentences.
Mubarak, 84, is receiving medical treatment at a military hospital for old age-related problems, although there are no official reports about his health.
Meanwhile, the Supreme Constitutional Court threw out lawsuits contesting the legality of an Islamist-led constituent assembly that drafted a controversial constitution for Egypt.
The court said the suits are irrelevant as the assembly no longer exists after the constitution was approved late last year.
In December, thousands of supporters of the Islamist president Mohammad Mursi encircled the court building on the day its judges were to hear cases on the legality of the Shura Council, or the upper house of parliament, and the constitution panel — both dominated by Islamists.
The sit-in, which lasted almost a month, prompted the court at the time to announce the suspension of its sessions. The Islamists ended their protest in late December after the Islamist-backed constitution was approved by a narrow margin in a public vote.
The same court dissolved in June last year the lower house of parliament, where Mursi’s Muslim Brotherhood and Islamist allies held more than two thirds of seats.
By Ramadan Al Sherbini ?Correspondent
Gulf News 2013. All rights reserved.
© Copyright Zawya. All Rights Reserved.