Apr 26 2012
|more articles from|
March 14 coalition slams rivals for threatening a new civil war
26 April 2012
BEIRUT: The March 14 coalition said Wednesday that Hezbollah and Free Patriotic Movement leader Michel Aoun were stirring tension in the country and threatening a new civil war in order to serve the Syrian regime. The group renewed calls for the Lebanese to mobilize to defend peace in Lebanon.
“In its conference on March 14, 2012, the March 14 groups called for a joint Lebanese effort to build the peace of Lebanon ... over a month later, the response was a threat of renewing the civil war,” said a statement by the March 14 General Secretariat following its weekly meeting.
“Parliament sessions last week were a scene of these threats, which Lebanese heard on TV,” added the statement, referring to three days of televised debate on the policy of the government of Prime Minister Najib Mikati.
In parallel, continued the statement, Hezbollah has escalated its position on keeping its arms.
“With this danger confronting Lebanon, March 14 groups stress that the threat of a civil war will not pass, and they call for a general Lebanese mobilization to defend the peace of Lebanon,” said the statement.© Copyright The Daily Star 2012.
© Copyright Zawya. All Rights Reserved.
- UPDATE 1-Korean women scrap meeting Japanese mayor over brothel remarks
- REFILE-Elderly Korean women cancel meet with Osaka mayor over war brothel remarks
- Korean "grannies" cancel meet with Osaka mayor over war brothel remarks
- Solar plane completes second leg of cross-country flight in Texas
- College student snares record long Burmese python near Miami
- There's More