Jun 22 2006
|more articles from|
Abu Dhabi set to privatise sewage system
22 June 2006
Abu Dhabi: Abu Dhabi has formally embarked on the privatisation of its sewage system, issuing request for pre-qualifications (RPQ) from international companies, a top official said yesterday.
Two separate projects will be privatised an operation, maintenance and management services agreement (OM&MS) for the sewerage networks of the whole emirate including Al Ain and a single build-own-operate and transfer (BOOT) project for the major sewage treatment plants (STPs).
Companies must submit initial bids between July 10 and July 17, for the respective projects. Alan Thompson, Managing Director of the Abu Dhabi Sewerage Services Company (ADSSC) told Gulf News the companies will then be shortlisted and the selection process will begin. The network project will transfer to a new, private company, the functions of ADSSC, with the group continuing to own the hard assets of the sewerage network.
Adwea will indirectly hold 60 per cent of the new company and the bidder holding the remaining 40 per cent.
ADSSC has assets worth Dh 9 billion.
Assets include treatment plants, pumping stations and networks.
The staff strength is 1500 including staff from Al Ain.
Adssc took over management of sewerage services from the Municipality on January 1.
Abu Dhabi's population is projected to double in 10 years from the current 1.7 million people.
By Stanley Carvalho
© Gulf News 2006. All rights reserved.
© Copyright Zawya. All Rights Reserved.
- Solar plane completes second leg of cross-country flight in Texas
- College student snares record long Burmese python near Miami
- What's in a name? U.S. starts using Myanmar as well as Burma
- Marijuana waste helps turn pot-eating pigs into tasty pork roast
- Man climbs onto dome of St Peter's to protest Italian politics
- There's More