Dec 21 2012
|more articles from|
EU Expands Restrictive Measures Against Iran
Friday, Dec 21, 2012
By Vanessa Mock
BRUSSELS--The European Union agreed Friday to bring into effect a new raft of restrictive measures against Iran over its contested nuclear program, and added new entities and one person to its sanctions list.
In addition to measures agreed by foreign ministers in October, the EU added 18 new companies or institution and a person "involved in nuclear activities or providing support to the Iranian government" to the list of those targeted with an asset freeze and a travel ban, according to a statement by the European Council, which represents the bloc's 27 members.
This brings the total number of entities subject to sanctions to 490 and the total number of people to 105, the Council said. The identities of those concerned will be released Saturday in the EU's Official Journal.
Last week the U.S. also extended its measures against Tehran, imposing sanctions on seven more Iranian entities and five individuals.
Write to Vanessa Mock at email@example.com
(END) Dow Jones Newswires
© Copyright Zawya. All Rights Reserved.
- Google execs' planes saved millions in costs due to error- NASA
- CORRECTED-Two infant skeletons found in dead Ohio woman's home
- RPT-Gruesome gift that keeps on giving: $200 to sponsor museum skulls
- Two infant skeletons found in dead Ohio woman's home
- Gruesome gift that keeps on giving: $200 to sponsor museum skulls
- There's More