Aug 07 2012
|more articles from|
Dubai World Tribunal aims to wind up bulk of cases by mid-2013
Chairman says not sure whether tribunal will remain in existence later
"We should probably have very few active cases in the second part of next year... We are hoping to decide in the first half of next year all the cases we have so far, but more cases may or may not come in," Sir Anthony Evans, chairman of Dubai World Tribunal and a former chief justice of Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) Courts, said in an interview to Arabian Business.
Since completion of Nakheel's Dh59-billion restructuring plan, the developer and Limitless, a sister company, were separated from Dubai World . They became wholly owned government entities since August 23, 2011 and as a result, cases lodged against them after this date are no longer eligible to be heard by the tribunal and are referred to the Dubai Courts.
"Whether the tribunal will remain in existence I don't know. It may remain alive but wouldn't necessarily be very active," he said.
According to the Dubai World Tribunal website, there are currently no cases scheduled on its calendar after March 3, 2013.
© Emirates 24|7 2012
© Copyright Zawya. All Rights Reserved.