Aug 27 2006
|more articles from|
Deposits in the Syrian banks increase by 30 percent
DAMASCUS - The deposits in the Syrian banks have increased since the beginning of 2005 to last July by a rate that exceeds 25% for the public banks and 30 % for the private banks, AL-Thawra daily said Sunday.
In return, the Syrian banks have been witnessing a return of the Syrian deposits from the banks of the neighboring countries, particularly Jordan and Lebanon, the daily added.
Dr. Ratib al-Shallah, Chairman of Syrian Chambers of Commerce estimated the volume of the money returning from Lebanon since the beginning of the current year at USD 300 to 400 million.
Meanwhile, Governor of Commercial Bank of Syria Dr. Duriad Dergham asserted that tens of millions of USD monthly returned from Lebanon to the Bank.
Two Islamic banks which are al-Sham Islamic Bank with a capital totaled to USD 100 million and al-Baraka Bank affiliated to Saudi Dallah al-Baraka Group are joining the Syrian banking sector by the end of this year.
By H.Zein and Idelbi
© Copyright Zawya. All Rights Reserved.
- UPDATE 1-Korean women scrap meeting Japanese mayor over brothel remarks
- REFILE-Elderly Korean women cancel meet with Osaka mayor over war brothel remarks
- Korean "grannies" cancel meet with Osaka mayor over war brothel remarks
- Solar plane completes second leg of cross-country flight in Texas
- College student snares record long Burmese python near Miami
- There's More