Aug 08 2012
|more articles from|
Defecting Syria PM Arrives in Jordan - Govt Spokesman
Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012
AMMAN (AFP)--Defecting Syrian prime minister Riad Hijab and his family crossed the border into Jordan Wednesday morning, Information Minister Samih Maayatah said, clarifying previous reports he had done so at the weekend.
"Hijab and members of his family entered Jordan during the early hours of Wednesday," Maayatah, also government spokesman, told AFP without elaborating.
The rebel Local Coordination Committees of Syria said Hijab "entered Jordanian territory through barbed wire after having been trapped in [neighboring] Daraa province following the announcement of his defection."
Abedin said the defection came after "coordination between the Syrian opposition and the [rebel] Free Syrian Army."
(END) Dow Jones Newswires
© Copyright Zawya. All Rights Reserved.
- UPDATE 1-Korean women scrap meeting Japanese mayor over brothel remarks
- REFILE-Elderly Korean women cancel meet with Osaka mayor over war brothel remarks
- Korean "grannies" cancel meet with Osaka mayor over war brothel remarks
- Solar plane completes second leg of cross-country flight in Texas
- College student snares record long Burmese python near Miami
- There's More