Aug 11 2012
|more articles from|
DHL becomes the first logistics company to partner with Etihad Rail
Rail network's significant environmental benefits will support DHL's global Go Green programme
The understanding with Etihad Rail highlights DHL's continued commitment towards meeting its environmental responsibilities, as when operational, one Etihad Rail train alone is expected to remove up to 300 trucks from the UAE's roads. The signing will also see DHL utilise and support the state-of-the-art transportation developments that the UAE has to offer.
The MoU announcement was made following a special signing ceremony at Etihad Rail 's offices in Abu Dhabi, which was attended by Frank-Uwe Ungerer, Country Manager for DHL Express in the UAE, and Dr. Hazem Mobarak, Acting Chief Executive Officer at Etihad Rail .
Commenting on the new agreement, Frank-Uwe Ungerer, Country Manager for DHL Express in the UAE, said: "We are delighted to be the first logistics company to collaborate with Etihad Rail . This is a new and innovative milestone for DHL in the UAE, which will enable us to further enhance our competitive logistical performance and develop our cross-border services, in order meet our customers growing logistical needs.
Dr. Hazem Mobarak, Acting CEO of Etihad Rail added: "The Etihad Rail project will provide a safe, cost-effective and more environmentally friendly mode of transport, bringing considerable benefits to businesses in their operations. We are very proud to be partnering with DHL, one of the world's leading logistics companies, to create a more efficient and environmentally friendly business solution for them in the UAE."
DHL has been a pioneer in the Middle East logistics industry over the last 30 years through its innovation, service excellence and commitment to providing customers with superior logistics solutions.
DABO & CO
Tel: 04 344 4901
DHL - The logistics company for the world
DHL is the global market leader in the logistics industry and "The logistics company for the world". DHL commits its expertise in international express, air and ocean freight, road and rail transportation, contract logistics and international mail services to its customers. A global network composed of more than 220 countries and territories and about 275,000 employees worldwide offers customers superior service quality and local knowledge to satisfy their supply chain requirements. DHL accepts its social responsibility by supporting climate protection, disaster management and education.
DHL is part of Deutsche Post DHL. The Group generated revenue of 53 billion euros in 2011.
About Etihad Rail
Etihad Rail was established in June 2009 under Federal Law no. 2, with a mandate to manage the development, construction and operation of the UAE's national freight and passenger railway network.
The railway network will be built in phases to link the principal centres of population and industry of the UAE, as well as to form a vital part of the planned GCC railway network linking the six countries of the GCC.
Built to international standards, Etihad Rail 's state of the art network will act as a catalyst for economic growth and sustained social development. Once complete, the railway will redefine logistics and transport in the region, providing a modern, safe, efficient, sustainable network that will connect all regions of the UAE, and the UAE to its wider GCC neighbouring countries.
Etihad Rail has recently announced a number of contract awards for Stage One of the rail network including:
- The Civil & Track Works contract was awarded to a consortium comprising Italy's Saipem, Tecnimont and UAE-based Dodsal Engineering and Construction
- The Project Management Consultant (PMC) contract which was awarded to joint venture Parsons-Aecom
- PCM Strescon Ventures was awarded the contract for the provision of railway sleepers. The Indian-based company will be responsible for the provision of railway sleepers in a purpose-built sleeper manufacturing facility at our rail head
- Electro-Motive Diesel, from North America, was assigned to deliver seven locomotives custom-built for desert conditions by 2012
- CSR Corporation Limited China was appointed to supply 240 covered hopper wagons for the movement of granulated sulphur in the Western Region
- Etihad Rail has also signed several Memorandums of Understanding with the following companies:
- DP World, for the development of an intermodal rail terminal in Jebel Ali Port which will enable the more efficient transfer of containerised freight arriving at the port inland
- Arkan and Emirates Steel, leading manufacturers who seek to use rail as the main method of transportation for their raw and finished materials
- Al Dahra Agriculture Company, who plan to use rail as a more efficient means of transporting hay as soon as Etihad Rail 's second stage is operational
- Etisalat and Du, whose expertise in telecommunications services will benefit Etihad Rail while both companies gain access to and use of the railway infrastructure to magnify their growing network and customer base in the UAE
For more information on
, please visit the
website at: www.etihadrail.ae
Or please contact:
Nora Layous, Hill+Knowlton Strategies
Tel: +971 5010 62130
© Press Release 2012
© Copyright Zawya. All Rights Reserved.
People Who Read This Also Read
- College student snares record long Burmese python near Miami
- What's in a name? U.S. starts using Myanmar as well as Burma
- Marijuana waste helps turn pot-eating pigs into tasty pork roast
- Man climbs onto dome of St Peter's to protest Italian politics
- Prague metro plans to launch love train for singles
- There's More