Aug 17 2011
|more articles from|
Al-Jazeera reporter arrested in Israel
Al-Jazeera said in a release issued Monday that Samer Allawi, its bureau chief in Afghanistan, was taken into custody on Aug. 10 as he tried to leave the West Bank to return to the Afghan capital, Kabul.
The Committee to Protect Journalists in New York said in a statement that Allawi has been detained without charges and called on Israel to clarify the legal basis for holding him.
Al-Jazeera said Allawi was in the West Bank spending his annual vacation with his family in his native village of Sebastia.
Allawi was also interrogated about his personal finances and asked if he had any contact with American, Jordanian and Palestinian intelligence forces, Al-Jazeera said.
Investigators also took his password for his personal e-mail and work password, the statement added.
© Arab News 2011
© Copyright Zawya. All Rights Reserved.
More in Media
- College student snares record long Burmese python near Miami
- What's in a name? U.S. starts using Myanmar as well as Burma
- Marijuana waste helps turn pot-eating pigs into tasty pork roast
- Man climbs onto dome of St Peter's to protest Italian politics
- Prague metro plans to launch love train for singles
- There's More